Jumping spider bite

Duriana

Arachnoknight
So I was excited to see another P. Audax scurry under our outside couch. I looked a couple seconds later I looked to see a house spider going for some prey which was the jumper. Somehow she got two of her legs stuck in his web, so I pushed away the house spider and it took a while but eventually the jumper went on to my hand. I wasn't rough with her just putting my hand in front of her and then gently pushing her abdomen. Once she was on my hand she started getting the cobweb and the debris that had stuck to her leg off. Then I went to go put her on a bush and as I lowered my hand to do so I feel a sharp prick on my thumb. I guess saving her from a house spider wasn't enough to earn her trust ;) So I kinda freak out and shake my hand out of instinct and she falls to the ground ( it wasn't high, I was sitting on the ground) she seemed fine and started climbing the wall. I know their venom isn't that dangerous to people but I'm just wondering if there's any thing I should watch for. There's no swelling but I can see where she bit me. Nothing noticeable. Thanks!

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
I've been bit by them before and I'm highly allergic to bites and stings. I was fine. They really don't have the potential to harm you.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I know their venom isn't that dangerous to people but I'm just wondering if there's any thing I should watch for. There's no swelling but I can see where she bit me. Nothing noticeable.
You might have received a dry bite.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
I've been bit by them before and I'm highly allergic to bites and stings. I was fine. They really don't have the potential to harm you.
Okay good to know :happy:

You might have received a dry bite.
Yeah That's what I was thinking.
She was probably already stressed from her legs being stuck together and having a giant taking her on a ride :p. I'm just glad she was okay when she fell from my hand

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Wow. I didn't know they could break the skin with a bite.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Wow. I didn't know they could break the skin with a bite.
Ignore the text, I was just having a bit of fun. But as you can see with my male Phidippus regius, they have a decent pair of fangs.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Once she was on my hand she started getting the cobweb and the debris that had stuck to her leg off. Then I went to go put her on a bush and as I lowered my hand to do so I feel a sharp prick on my thumb. I guess saving her from a house spider wasn't enough to earn her trust
I wouldn't discount just be overexcited and hyper. Think of a puppy out losing it in a yard giving your ankle a nip as it dashes past.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been bitten by P. johnsoni and when they envenomate, the bite is accompanied by a sharp pain at the site of the bite that comes and goes for a few minutes. I'd say it's kind of like getting a minor papercut under the skin over and over.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
I have been bitten by P. johnsoni and when they envenomate, the bite is accompanied by a sharp pain at the site of the bite that comes and goes for a few minutes. I'd say it's kind of like getting a minor papercut under the skin over and over.
Ooh gosh that sounds painful. Really mine just felt like somebody pricked me with a needle

I wouldn't discount just be overexcited and hyper. Think of a puppy out losing it in a yard giving your ankle a nip as it dashes past.
Haha that could be true. :D