Jumping spider behavior??

bobabbet

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I'm not necessarily expecting an exact answer, but my Phiddipus Regius jumper (most likely fully mature) often just crawls around at the top of his enclosure webbing, but not really making anything. He just walks around in squares (as opposed to circles). I'm not concerned about it, but I'm mostly just curious and want to make sure that nothing is wrong with his spinnerets. You can see a faint white line along the edges of the top where he always walks. He doesn't do anything else really!

Is there a reason he might be doing this without making any new hammocks? He has one in the back left corner that he lives in. I THINK he's had his final molt already, and for some reason he never removed his molt from his hammock so he's been living with it in there for months. I've included a full enclosure photo for reference.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hello!

I'm not necessarily expecting an exact answer, but my Phiddipus Regius jumper (most likely fully mature) often just crawls around at the top of his enclosure webbing, but not really making anything. He just walks around in squares (as opposed to circles). I'm not concerned about it, but I'm mostly just curious and want to make sure that nothing is wrong with his spinnerets. You can see a faint white line along the edges of the top where he always walks. He doesn't do anything else really!

Is there a reason he might be doing this without making any new hammocks? He has one in the back left corner that he lives in. I THINK he's had his final molt already, and for some reason he never removed his molt from his hammock so he's been living with it in there for months. I've included a full enclosure photo for reference.
Males of most if not all spiders wander a lot especially mm. Nothing they want to do besides breeding . I’ve had male tarantulas wear out so they can’t climb anymore. :(

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Most likely just exploring. I've moved my biggest regal to a 3x3x3 enclosure as all she did in her bigger one was walk the top. She never interacted with her decor or want to hunt a cricket towards the bottom. Pretty sure that's standard behavior though.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
If it is a mature male, they wander a lot.

It's been observed that the males of this species wanders much further away from their homes than females do. With some males refusing to even return home, and just wandering for the rest of their life. This behavior is likely from their instinct to find a mate.

As for the spinneret, that's normal. They lay down a line everywhere they go just in case they fall or decide to jump. It's a safety line.