Jumper spider problems

The wolf

Arachnolord
I got this jumper spider at school today it is black with a white spot on it I'm keeping my jumper spider in a flat tupper ware box with no substrate and a flat price of bark I have a heat mat and a lamp for when it gets really cold I'm not sure how else to heat him because he seems too cold he even made a little bed in the corner to heat himself up there is no entrance or exit is he stuck? Should I try to cut him out I have never kept a spider before

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
That little bed is it's hide. A good sign. Just leave it alone for a few days to settle in. Depends on locale but jumpers tolerate temps from 45 to 200 F. Time to start thinking about gnat and miniature fly catching. A quick and dirty way I've used that works is leave a piece of fruit out in a sealable container. Once the fruit flies invade, slap the lid on, put the container in your spider's containment and remove the lid so the buggers can escape. After an hour remove the fruit fly attractor. Wash, rinse, repeat.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I got this jumper spider at school today it is black with a white spot on it I'm keeping my jumper spider in a flat tupper ware box with no substrate and a flat price of bark I have a heat mat and a lamp for when it gets really cold I'm not sure how else to heat him because he seems too cold he even made a little bed in the corner to heat himself up there is no entrance or exit is he stuck? Should I try to cut him out I have never kept a spider before
You can keep him at room temp, no need for heat mats. If you could provide your jumping spider with a lot of space to jump around and do its thing, that would be better. They enjoy having vertical space. The thing that he made is a little shelter, they are not warm blooded and cannot generate body heat so making a bed to warm himself up would do him no good. He's just trying to make himself comfortable.

45 to 200 F
200?:wideyed:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Leave the spider be, they do their own spider thing. What species is it?

Zacktigger

Arachnopeon
Is 65 too cold, I picked up a juvenile bold jumper, no idea Male or female, decent sized terrarium with aquarium rocks, a funny shaped stick a piece of bark and a section of napkin. But he is just chilling in top corner of terrarium on the vent .... any ideas

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Is 65 too cold, I picked up a juvenile bold jumper, no idea Male or female, decent sized terrarium with aquarium rocks, a funny shaped stick a piece of bark and a section of napkin. But he is just chilling in top corner of terrarium on the vent .... any ideas
No, if you found it in your area it can live in those temperatures. If you are comfortable it will be as well. You will be able to tell sex when it gets mature based on the palps, with Bold jumpers its hard to tell until then. You can try to place a small tube or house near the top of the terrarium and introduce it to it. If you provide a better more secure option near the top of the terrarium they will most likely move into in on their own accord.

Zacktigger

Arachnopeon
I was actually planning on a bigger tank, but the more I think about it I feel it's plenty of room. Perhaps I'll build a little wooden deer stand for him

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Do you have a picture? It sounds most likely like a Bold Jumping spider or Phidippus Audax based on your description so far. No heat is required. Also they do not get stuck in their sacks, sometimes when molting they won't come out for days to even a week or more. Do not bother them they can take care of themselves up to that point. All you really need to do is provide lightly misted water (not directly on the spider) daily or every other day and food and a day night cycle. Do not place enclosure in direct sunlight and clean the enclosure or replace enclosure every once and awhile. That's it.

pandabacon

Arachnosquire

That's a good start, I would recommend more vertical climbing surfaces and it should make him a lot happier. Also you might want to place things around the edge of the enclosure so being down in the middle doesn't seem so out in the open. Think of trying to replicate an upright fence. You can use tree bark or wood chips etc. More aquarium rocks to help anchor stuff. Also using some dead or dying leaves from outside and creating a leaf cave will sometimes entice them to create their nest inside of it. Just put some leaves together with space inbetween and they will sometimes web inbetween them and tie them up into a nice little leaf house.