Jumper question

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've noticed a lot of people really getting into jumpers here on the forum and i just wanted to ask a question. how common are jumpers in all of your respective areas? They are neat little guys and fun to watch, but they are allover the place around here, and i could probably find dozens in an hour in the right season, and i mostly find them in and around my house. as such i can usually just observe a wild one with little effort so ive never bothered to try and keep them. are they uncommon in your areas, or are they easy to find but you just like to keep them anyways?

John

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my area Phiddipus audax and the zebra stripped jumper "forgot the latin name" are all over the place. I personaly like keeping P. audax around because they are very cool display pets. I guess for me its kind of the same thing as people out west keeping local brachys,centroides and hadurus.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
envyizm: was it salticus scenicus?

anyway, fairly common john, but they are always fun to keep. just interesting little critters. once you start keeping them though, just like the rest of this hobby, you can't help but get more, and different species.

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
envyizm: was it salticus scenicus?

anyway, fairly common john, but they are always fun to keep. just interesting little critters. once you start keeping them though, just like the rest of this hobby, you can't help but get more, and different species.
unless you're me, because I can only find one species. :wall:

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For me, it's pretty much what Widowman10 said. Part of it was overcoming my fear of spiders in general. Now it's like catching pokemon and just observing, and learning more about them.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get many types of the smaller jumpers here in CA. Can't remember when I found Itsy and Bitsy (the two Phidippus johnsoni I found a while back), but those were the largest jumpers I ever saw and it exposed me to the fact that there are species of jumper that get bigger than the tiny zebra jumpers. Tried keeping zebra jumpers before and breeding them but the slings are so dang tiny!!

So after I got egg sacs from those two and am currently raising the 8 slings left over, I found an ad for containers that came with free jumpers and I am now starting a breeding project of any jumping spider that can get up to 1/2" or more.

I'm addicted to jumpers AND tarantulas.