Jumper ID and Care Questions

Phenix

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! My daughter has wanted a jumping spider for a while, we have had T's for about a year. A few days ago she found a cute little jumper on the inside of our sliding glass door, and I grabbed an empty young T enclosure to catch it for her. Of course this little dude is the most adorable thing, and after a few hours of research I think he is either Eris flava or Eris militaris, but leaning toward the latter:

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/bronze-jumper

We put him in a 32 oz twist-n-lock with the top on the bottom. I put in a stick, some small cork bark platforms, and some fake plants with hot glue, and made ventilation holes smaller than what was in the catch cup. I am not sure if I should keep it roomier for more jumping space, or more crowded so he can feel secure, but he has been camping out on the very tip of the stick rather than the cork/plant platform at the top. However, we only had him for two days so he is likely still adjusting to his new digs.

As far as feeding, I keep a dubia colony and offered a nymph just a bit bigger than him (with head squished so it wouldn't hide), and he didn't eat it yet. I know they may not eat right away, but wondering if other feed dubia to their jumpers or should I go out and get FFs or pinheads?

I have attached the closeup pics of him in the catch cup, and in his enclosure. Thanks for any input, we want to make sure we can give him the best home possible!

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Maybe it's the angle, but those vent holes look awfully big. Are you sure Sir Jumps A Lot (awesome name by the way! :rofl:) can't escape?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Moderator note: I have merged the two threads concerning this spider. Carry on!

Phenix

Arachnopeon
Maybe it's the angle, but those vent holes look awfully big. Are you sure Sir Jumps A Lot (awesome name by the way! :rofl:) can't escape?
Haha, thanks my daughter named him :). He was on the backside of the enclosure in that pic so perspective may be off, the holes were actually smaller than the ones in the closeup pics and smaller than his carapace. However, since I am a super paranoid spider grandma, I think I will use a hot thumbtack to make him a new home with smaller holes!

Moderator note: I have merged the two threads concerning this spider. Carry on!
Thanks for moving the other replies about the other jumper back to their original thread, would you be able to remove the post #2 in this thread back to the original where I was replying to the ID on that spider who looked just like mine? Thinking it might be helpful for those who search later for comparison pics. It was after post #4 in this thread:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/can-someone-id-this-jumper.304744/#post-2782030

After doing some more reading in other threads by Wolfspidurguy about breeding attempts do I see that Little Grey Spider had also suggested that that particular spider of his was in the Eris genus. I know my reply was a bit of a bump, but when I first saw that thread I just wanted to share some of the research I dug up on my little dude who looked just like his!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member