Jujube?

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
So recently i noticed a Jujube tree (Gigifa, as its known in england and other countries, which resembles the greek word for Jujube ; τζιτζίφα). And i decided to pick up some. If you dont know, jujube are hard to raise in europe and USA, cause it only grows in Asia. Its leaves make tea and the fruit is used for medical and eating purposes. It looks like an apple in the size of a blueberry and it does taste like an apple. The unriped ones taste like green-apples. So since its like an apple, can i feed it to bearded dragons ? It is less sugary and moisty, so i guess its a bit better for the organism.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
It's similar to an apple but it's actually a drupe, a type of fruit that has a fleshy outer part and a single stone inside, like a peach. I don't know too much about bearded dragon husbandry, but looking online it would seem you could only ever feed them on rare occasions. When looking up Jujube (a new one for me!) I saw that they have very high phosphorus content, not too dissimilar to bananas. Bananas are apparently recommended to be fed only once or twice a month if ever. There seems to be a calcium to phosphorus ratio for bearded dragon diets. I would say they're okay, but only feed them raw jujube and only a small bit. Dried jujube has almost double the phosphorus in it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that's weird, I was just reading about the Jujube tree yesterday. I read they are very hardy and should be easy to grow over much of the US, most people just don't know about the tree in the US, that's all. I'm hot on the food plants so I've been looking up any alternative, missed plants I can find to grow. Many people think the Kiwi is a tropical but it originates from Asia, not Australia, many varieties that can easily take a freeze and even require chilling hours and can be grown outdoors over most of the US. It's just one of those things you don't hear about. You can go to the store, buy a Kiwi, plant the seeds and have your own plants. I have 4 that are about 4 feet high now that I grew from seeds from a Kiwi I bought at the store.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I see the fruit here in the markets all the time. Never been tempted to try them. Gnarly wrinkled little snorfs. Never knew what people do with them. I still don't.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Its common that you see it, it is as common as apples are in europe for asia. My friend from albania told me, that Jujube trees are all over the place in albania. But for countries like greece, england, sweden and other european - american countires, its very rare and uncommon for a jujube tree to grow. In my country there's approximatly 500-600 wild jujube trees, 1 being in my village. (This number includes Wild trees that have made a "colony" and are being farmed, but they werent planted. Jujube is sold for 4$/kilo in my country, which is very expensive. Althought its a small version of the apple.