Joshes Frogs ABG mix for substrate?

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I have a T. Stermi that I want to move in to bioactive vivarium. I know the ABG is excellent for dart frogs and great for growing plants. Thats what I want to do. Grow some plants. Do you think it will be ok for my stermi? I know there is some charcoal in it and other ingredients. Anyone use this for there tarantulas?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The soil will be just fine for tarantulas based upon the ingredients in it.

I don't use it but many people use it for other pets/reptiles/amphibians/etc.

I mix my own substrate based on the JF ABG mix. It works really well for a wide range of inverts, I haven't had any issues with my Stirmi.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ABG is used to provide drainage when used in a vivarium with a drainage layer or a false bottom. People who keep dart frogs need it because we add so much water to their tanks that if you don’t have a place for the water to drain and settle the substrate will become nasty, dead mud. ABG sits on a substrate divider, either screen mesh or weed barrier, over the drainage layer/ false bottom. The water pools in the drainage layer allowing use to drain the water, keeping the substrate for turning into mud. You can find recipes for ABG, including the original Atlanta Botanical Garden recipe online. The key ingredient is tree fern fiber. I’ve been told that Josh frogs does stopped using tree fern fiber do to cost, so josh frog ABG is not ABG. you Can find web sites on line that can provide you all of what you would need to make your own ABG, usually gardening people that sell custom potting mixes for orchids and other plants. I brought all this up to make two points. First ABG was designed to be used in dart frog vivariums with a drainage layer or false bottom. Second, Josh frogs substrate isn’t ABG. (I am in no way saying Josh Frog substrate is bad, they just replaced the tree fern fiber with pressurized, baked clay, the stuff they sale separately as their drainage layer.)

Why does this matter? Unless you plan on using it as it’s designed to be used, you are paying a lot of extra money for some small rocks and charcoal to be added to your substrate. I would just buy organic potting soil.

Last edited:

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
ABG is used to provide drainage when used in a vivarium with a drainage layer or a false bottom. People who keep dart frogs need it because we add so much water to their tanks that if you don’t have a place for the water to drain and settle the substrate will become nasty, dead mud. ABG sits on a substrate divider, either screen mesh or weed barrier, over the drainage layer/ false bottom. The water pools in the drainage layer allowing use to drain the water, keeping the substrate for turning into mud. You can find recipes for ABG, including the original Atlanta Botanical Garden recipe online. The key ingredient is tree fern fiber. I’ve been told that Josh frogs does stopped using tree fern fiber do to cost, so josh frog ABG is not ABG. you Can find web sites on line that can provide you all of what you would need to make your own ABG, usually gardening people that sell custom potting mixes for orchids and other plants. I brought all this up to make two points. First ABG was designed to be used in dart frog vivariums with a drainage layer or false bottom. Second, Josh frogs substrate isn’t ABG. (I am in no way saying Josh Frog substrate is bad, they just replaced the tree fern fiber with pressurized, baked clay, the stuff they sale separately as their drainage layer.)

Why does this matter? Unless you plan on using it as it’s designed to be used, you are paying a lot of extra money for some small rocks and charcoal to be added to your substrate. I would just buy organic potting soil.
Its not that expensive. I know how to set up drainage layers and everything. I used JF ABG mix when I had dart frogs. Dart frogs just arent for me. After 6 months of making fruit fly colonies every week I was over it. I just wanted make sure it was fine for tarantulas too.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I mix my own substrate based on the JF ABG mix. It works really well for a wide range of inverts, I haven't had any issues with my Stirmi.
Ok thanks! I'm going to pick up a bunch of bags next week and start building my tank. Glad to hear its fine