1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JohnDapiaoen's vivarium thread

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by JohnDapiaoen, Oct 7, 2017.

1. JohnDapiaoen

JohnDapiaoen Arachnobro Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Building vivariums for me is becoming a hobby in it of itself. I wont be actively adding to this thread but once in a blue moon I'd want to create something :p and I'll share here.

To start off I'll show some of my current vivs. They are very basic but look nice imo.

Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus vivs first week
    20170411_135910.jpg
    ...currently
    20170620_234122.jpg

-JohnD.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. JohnDapiaoen

Poecilotheria rufilata viv first week
    20170524_032409.jpg

Currently XD
    20171006_211118.jpg 20171006_211358.jpg 20171006_211408.jpg
    -JohnD.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JohnDapiaoen

Poecilotheria miranda viv first week, actually dont know how I feel about this one :\
    20170524_032622.jpg

Currently, the plants seem to have grown smaller leaves.
    20171006_211918.jpg 20171006_211934.jpg

-JohnD.

• Like Like x 4
  4. I would love to set up a vivarium similar to this...may I ask what lights and soil you use?

5. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

These look really great! :woot: What tarantula species have you had the plants do well with? Are the T’s not bothered by the light?

6. JohnDapiaoen

The soil is a mix of Zoo meds reptisoil and sphagnum. The lights are just a cheap beamswork fixture.

Thanks! I haven't explored much with other species but my Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus have been doing ok and one of my Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus has lined her burrow with a ficus vine, it looks awesome and from a video I saw of them in the while its what they do :p. The T's do hide when the lights switch on but you can still see their feet waiting near their retreats, I've got to say it is quite a natural look.

-JohnD.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. JohnDapiaoen

Added two more. One of them had issues... always check the expiration date on silicone. The silicone didn't cure and I had to redo the backdrop completely. 20171015_182400.jpg

-JohnD.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  8. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

And mind the humidity. Nothing quite like carefully laying out those beads and seams so neatly only to discover your glue turned into this weird almost impossible to remove grease.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks! I also love the way you do your backdrops...the new ones are looking awesome. I have the same enclosure, with the cheap foam background it comes with. I have to say, yours look vastly superior. I might have to attempt something similar.

10. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

So gorgeous! I want to try setting up a naturalistic enclosure for my Poecilotheria regalis. :) What plants have you used besides ficus? Are there types that you would caution against? I reviewed what The Tarantula Keeper’s Guide said about live plants in the vibration and there was a caution that some plants are bad for T’s but no indication of which nor how to tell! :confused:

11. JohnDapiaoen

Some plants are definitely a no-go. Any with thorns is always a bad idea. Some plants are poisonous if ingested so if they grab a piece of the plant by accident while hunting it could potentially be dangerous for the T. There are so many safe plant choices just be sure to look up if it's toxic when you go shopping and youll be fine. Make sure the plant is labeled correctly too. Not sure dont buy

I've used pothose and any form would be fine, Pilea sp. again any form, Gynura aurantiaca, boston ferns, and ficus vines . If ur up for a challenge then try bromiliads(again, dont get ones with thorns) which aren't too difficult as long as you know how to care for epiphytes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. JohnDapiaoen

New enclosure housing penultimate male Poecilotheria regalis. You can see grass seeds on the floor of the vivarium... trying something new ;).

20180529_192655.jpg

-JohnD.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnDapiaoen

An attempt at a steep slope style enclosure. Plants will be added later.
    20180531_092149.jpg 20180531_092232.jpg

-JohnD.

14. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron

15. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron

How do you make those backgrounds?

16. JohnDapiaoen

Its a bit of a process, but essentially its made out of great stuff foam with a few decorative wood pieces small pots etc., carve the foam, then silicone any foam areas and then pressing substrate on imediately after.

Added a ficus vine and a few moss clumps to the slope enclosure. Hopefully it climbs up nicely ;)
    20180602_173047.jpg

And grass grew insanely fast in the male P. regalis enclosure. o_O
    20180602_173004.jpg

-JohnD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. JohnDapiaoen

Theraphosa stirmi enclosure.
    20180602_172939.jpg

Might remove the grass and add other plants but it's not what I was going for.

-JohnD.