"Joe's Florida 'Bug' Terrarium"

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Narceus gordanus. They're boring as hell.

They don't walk around on you like the ivory 'pedes do, they're nocturnal, and they stay buried most of the time.

The ivory millipedes are great though.

Meecht

Arachnosquire
Around here, we refer to that green beetle as a "June bug." Similar to "Japanese beetles" that people tend to put up traps for around their flower gardens (in my area, anyway).

Using some Google-fu, I'm guessing the scientific name is Cotinis nitida.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
I have read so much about mixing the millipede species is bad because of chemical transfer so I havent ventured into making a mixed tank. Does anyone have an opinion on not only mixing milipedes but all of the other insects in the original posters thread? Kim

tress29

Arachnopeon
Let me reveal my ignorance and ask what kind of spider that is?!

Theresa in Indy

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I have read so much about mixing the millipede species is bad because of chemical transfer so I havent ventured into making a mixed tank. Does anyone have an opinion on not only mixing milipedes but all of the other insects in the original posters thread? Kim
Not sure about the chemical transfer(although small spaces + uber-defensive millipede species + overcrowding = bad things, depending on the species), I was always more concerned with not being able to ID the millipede offspring produced in a group tank. I've noticed shared spaces in natural settings between different millipede species(esp. in the NW). My money's on the Centruroides or Pasimachus taking out a tank mate before anything.

Theresa, the spider's a wolf...Hogna, maybe?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure about the chemical transfer(although small spaces + uber-defensive millipede species + overcrowding = bad things, depending on the species), I was always more concerned with not being able to ID the millipede offspring produced in a group tank. I've noticed shared spaces in natural settings between different millipede species(esp. in the NW). My money's on the Centruroides or Pasimachus taking out a tank mate before anything.

Theresa, the spider's a wolf...Hogna, maybe?
Hogna lenta.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
:eek: Wow! That is really cool! Will all of them get along together? :clap::clap:

Fuzzy

Arachnopeon
That's awesome! I wish that I had seen this thread before I post my thread about self-sufficient terrariums. :8o

Have you had any luck getting the feeders/beetles to breed? When I tried it everything except for the isodpods and some mites just slowly died off.

FrostyCakee

Arachnosquire
It really is a thing of wonder. Looking at it you never know what your going to see.
Getting to it is a pain in the a**. ;P;P

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, yeah.

I added these guys last week:

Also, the millipedes had a bit of a population explosion. The vivarium is literally crawling with babies:

I know it's a terrible shot, sorry.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
YOu're gonna have stick bug population explosion with that pair. These are just like what I found and sent the pic of to you. Shoulda told me to grab them for you.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright, so here's an update:

Stick bugs are gone. Not sure what happened, but I can't find them anywhere and I don't see any remains either.
Most of the large beetles in the top pictures are gone as well.
Isopods are breeding like mad.
N. gordanus and C. spinigerus are still there.
I think the wolf spiders are gone.
The scarab beetle is gone.
The baby millipede explosion has faded. Hardly any in there any more. Any suggestions? Does anyone think they might be getting eaten?
The wandering jews got eaten, but the hoya is doing well.

I add dried shrubbery every now and then, and also added a large piece of pine bark about 3 weeks ago. I toss romaine lettuce in every couple of days.

I think I want to add some earthworms, some spiders (maybe a couple jumpers or wolf spiders), a couple more C. hentzi, and more crickets, earwigs, and other 'food' insects.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

--Joe

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice. Hoyas are fantastic plants. If you can get one to flower, it's quite a sight.

Hoya lanceolata:

hoya blossom.jpg

Wandering Jew is nice as well. That stuff could survive Armageddon. Do you use either of these in tarantula vivs as well?

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use wandering jew. The hoya isn't large enough for me to start taking clippings yet. I just ordered some more though, so it'll be an addition in the next viv I plan to make.

Here's the thread with all the vivs I've made so far:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?216672-xhexdx-s-vivarium-picture-thread

Update:

I added a large piece of pine bark, some dead plants, a stick, some leaves, four harvestmen, yadda yadda...

The stick insects disappeared. So did all the baby millipedes. The wandering jew got eaten, but the hoya is still doing well.

Here are some (crappy) pictures taken tonight, and a (crappy) video taken with the lights off, using a flashlight.

Pics:

Video:

[YOUTUBE]zD5DWSTKZbo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joe, Neat set-up! The last time I tried one of those multi-species enclosures, all of my hard work was met with utter failure...... I mean, who's to tell a 6 year-old kid that you can't keep 5 adult male green anoles in the same tank- then things like "dang, that was my favorite cricket they just ate!!" :sarcasm: I might try it again someday- of course, doing things a bit differently than back in the day......
I add dried shrubbery every now and then,..........

--Joe
That statement left me with an image of you pushing a wheelbarrow full of tumbleweed up a ramp into a living-room-sized aquarium!! :laugh:

Good luck with it, Watch out for the chemical that type of walking stick sprays. I've heard it is very rough on the eyes and it certainly is on the schnozz! I've come very close to getting it in my eyes. Btw, does anyone EVER find these things by themselves!!?)

Keep us updated,

T

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Terry.

Just caught 6 of these guys (Asiomorpha coarctata) while walking the dogs, gonna put them in there too:

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The terrarium is looking good. As you saw, I've recently started one very similar that was inspired by yours a bit. It's too bad your ivory babies didn't make it; I have a feeling that they might depend on large amounts of hardwood mulch to survive, but that's just a hypothesis. Those new pedes look good, much like oxidus gracillus that I find in my area.
By the way, what species of roach is that in there? I think I missed the update when you added them.

Last edited: