"Joe's Florida 'Bug' Terrarium"

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just set this up today - transferred stuff from a ten-gallon into it and added three wandering jew clippings and a hoya.

Entire setup:

Right half:

Left half:

A few ivory millipedes (C. spinigerus):

Pine bark for the two C. hentzi:

Isopods/wandering jew:

A couple beetles:

I found this guy while walking the dogs; one of his wings is broken so he can't fly. Figured I'd at least let him live out his days in the tank:

Hoya with a millipede trying to make a break for freedom:

An idea of the layers of substrate - sand at the bottom, peat moss in the middle, and topsoil on top:

I also have one of these guys in there:

These were taken when they were in the ten-gallon:

There are a few species of isopod who seem to be thriving, and I saw a baby earwig as well. I tossed some crickets in to provide food for the wolf and for the scorps, so we'll see how everything works out.

Something fun to play around with, anyway.

--Joe

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats really cool, how big is the new terrarium?

A grass spider would be cool in there too, could set up shop in a corner somewhere

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
36"L X 18"W X 16"H

Once I get a good feeder population going, I will add more spiders. :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I love multi-species tanks & will be following your efforts closely to see how things pan out. With an exception or two, mine have been miserable failures but have yielded useful info/surprises. Keep us updated!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
zbz, thanks. :)

Where did you get the millipede in your avatar? Me want! :}

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
They're local-ish, much more so in the coastal areas here. I'm working at getting offspring and finally figured out the correct food(s) a little while ago. Hopefully things work out and I can spread the Haraphe love around soon!

For anyone attempting culture, old Acer macrophyllum leaves seem to be the preferred staple.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
zbz, thanks. :)

Where did you get the millipede in your avatar? Me want! :}
It's the same species I was freaking out about finding the other day. I sent you the scientific name if you didn't delete my text. ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, yep, I still have the text. I meant to look it up but never did.

I assume you collected it?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap:awesome fla.native setup,love em all in there.....ofcourse the beetles! keep up the good work.now ya gotta setup an exotic sp. terrarium,heaven knows what we have down here{D

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, yep, I still have the text. I meant to look it up but never did.

I assume you collected it?
Yep. She's my desk pet at work. I even named her after the brand of flow injection analyses spectrometer brand we have that tests for cyanide (since she releases hydrogen-cyanide gas).

lancej

Arachnolord
Is that Pasimachus munching on an isopod? If it is, that could be bad news for their population in your tank. My Pasimachus are eating machines! Very cool set-up, by the way!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Joe that setup looks pretty good. Can't wait for updates good or bad, but like John said even failures yeild useful information.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is that Pasimachus munching on an isopod? If it is, that could be bad news for their population in your tank. My Pasimachus are eating machines! Very cool set-up, by the way!
You know, I hadn't even noticed what it was eating until you mentioned that. I'll keep an eye on the isopod population, but odds are I'll remove the Pasimachus if they devastate the isopods too much.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
OMG that is the coolest thing I have ever seen! (Rubbing hands together with evil laugh while plotting to make my own) Thank you so much for sharing this!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice! looking at the pics over my phone did it no justice. cute millis, but i especially like beetle you found.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh yeah,they are extremely aggressive,have a bunch aswell,they are the gladiators of the insect world{D

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
It actually looks like its just snacking on an exoskeleton of an isopod. Wouldnt be surprised if the isopods were being eaten by the pasimachi though.

I dont think a few beetles would make a difference even if they were eating the isopods the breed like crazy...... and if it does just keep adding more isopods that wouldnt hurt.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Question, what are the millipedes in the 17th picture called? I find them often here but I never though about keeping them. Are they interesting to keep?