JFB's picture thread

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice thread, excellent pics and the OBT colony interests me, How long will you keep them together for? Nice chick too, very cool that she shares your "strange" hobby with you!

I had not seen Pamphobeteus sp 'Platyomma before either, I take it these are sling/ juvi colors only, and attain a less colourful look with age?

Again, great thread and pics.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

The OBT colony was not successful at all. I eventually ended up with one very large individual, after a few months or so. I don't think OBTs are the best for communals. It's worth a shot if you've got a sac or can get a lot cheap, but there are definitely better species. My P. regalis communal, on the other hand, did very well. I even had a male mature in the communal and continued living with the other large females with no cannibalism at all. All 5 tarantulas also grew at a very similar rate. I'm going to try to breed them soon, and if I end up with a sac (or two) I'll make a large communal. I'll probably keep ~25-30 slings together and try to raise them to maturity.

Pamphobeteus is an AWESOME genus. I have P. platyomma, P. nigricolor and just got a big P. antinous girl (gonna post pics of her soon). I recommend them to anyone. Many of the species have slings with bright blue carapace and legs, and a bright orange abdomen with a black christmas tree pattern. They slowly lose that as they mature and attain a brown/black coloration. However, the adults are still gorgeous. Males and females have a beautiful pattern that reflects on the carapace. Also, the mature males are just drop-dead beautiful, be sure to check those out.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More pictures!

Ephebopus cyanognathus sling. Not a great shot by any means, but it gives an idea of how beautiful these slings are.

Brachypelma boehmei, female. This is probably the species that first got me interested in tarantulas (along with B. auratum). I don't keep many Brachypelma now, but I'm sure glad I just got this girl in a trade. I'm hoping to find a male for her NOW.

Pamphobeteus antinous, female. Another new girl that I got in the same trade. I have wanted a female of this species for YEARS, and it was definitely worth the wait. I love Pamphobeteus, and the large size and the beautiful black velvety shine of P. antinous is about as good as it gets.

And I know these aren't tarantulas, but they're pretty cool anyways. A couple pictures of my Ranitomeya imitator 'Varadero' dart frogs. I have a pair that should start breeding any day now and 3 subadults at the moment.

I should probably try to get some shots of my Lampropelma sp "Borneo Black" female and some of my other Poecilotheria sp.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Those versis are just too cute, can't wait for receiving mine! I love those communal setups you have there, any up-to-date pictures of those available? Hope you didn't have any losses, since I haven't searched on the forum about that.

Cheers!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's been a while since I set those communals up. The P. regalis communal went great. I ended up keeping them together until a male matured and then separated them. No cannibalism at all, even with a MM in there for who knows how long. I actually have two females from that communal that are beginning to look like they've got some extra junk in the trunk. I won't be surprised if I find a sac sometime soon.

The OBT communal ended up with just one big fat OBT. Complete failure. I wouldn't really recommend that species for a communal setup.

I did just get 6 H. incei from BrettG last week, and I've started a communal with them. So far everything looks great. Most of them are hanging out near each other despite a lot of space for them, and I've seen some shared meals. I'll try to upload some pictures soon.

notsobear

Arachnopeon
sweet collection man! hope mine will grow quick ;D
you got some sexy specimens :p

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's hoping for a fertile sac!

I bought her as a "proven breeder" and she hasn't molted in my care yet. I hope it's good!

Newly molted Pamphobeteus nigricolor female. I think the male is penultimate, so I hope to be pairing her soon!

The beautiful and underrated female Ornithoctonus aureotibialis.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. sp platyomma having lost his Christmas tree. Molt indicates that he's a male, which I'm not too bummed about. Pamphobeteus MMs are freakin unbelievably gorgeous.

This just may be my favorite girl. Pamphobeteus antinous

Avicularia sp. "Amazonica"

Poecilotheria metallica freshly molted

A very small Hapalopus sp. "Colombia Small"

And a very fat Hapalopus sp. "Colombia Large" that molted almost immediately after this was taken.

AND this is IT for crappy pictures! I'm receiving my new D-SLR tomorrow, so hope to start filling this thread with some better quality images.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
again, nice stuff .. i will be in love with this thread once you get that new camera.. some of your pics were already great quality, so i can only imagine how much better they will get.
I really hope your future nigricolor pairing goes well.. i will be keeping my eyes open for your add lol. I want a couple bad.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can see why you're particular to the genus Pamphobeteus. Gorgeous tarantulas!