Jerusalem Cricket space+care tips

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Hello! I have ordered a J cricket (Stenopelmatus Fuscus) online! I know most of the care (have spent hours researching online for care! ;) ) One thing I can't find is how much space they need. I am getting a 1-inch specimen, how much space would it need? Any tips are appreciated! Has anyone kept these awesome critters? Also, post your experiences with them! :) :D

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Hello! I have ordered a J cricket (Stenopelmatus Fuscus) online! I know most of the care (have spent hours researching online for care! ;) ) One thing I can't find is how much space they need. I am getting a 1-inch specimen, how much space would it need? Any tips are appreciated! Has anyone kept these awesome critters? Also, post your experiences with them! :) :D
I kept 2 adults for about 8 to 10 months before they died (old age I assume). I kept them in 2 small kk's with 3-4 inches of sub (peat-coco fiber) mostly dry with a bottle cap water dish, which you will need to dig up at least once a week as they spend most of their time burrowing around underground but will come out after dark. Oddly enough they didn't seem too bothered by flashlight though. they are noisy occasionally, sounding more like scraping than a typical cricket chirp. Mine seemed more interested in live prey than vegetables. I gave mine blowfly maggots, mealworms, and small dubia (they didn't seem to like the dubia as much) as well as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and some leafy greens and fruit (they preferred the two potatoes types to anything else) I wouldn't recommend handling, they kick when touched on the back and I heard they bite when picked up.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
they are noisy occasionally, sounding more like scraping than a typical cricket chirp.
That's just them scraping against the plastic while digging or trying to chew their way out LOL, the only noise they intentionally make is a low thumping as they drum their abdomens against the substrate, trying to attract mates. :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
That's just them scraping against the plastic while digging or trying to chew their way out LOL, the only noise they intentionally make is a low thumping as they drum their abdomens against the substrate, trying to attract mates. :)
I actually wondered if that what the sound was, but I could never catch them doing it to see. thanks for the info.