Jerusalem cricket setup

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't need a great deal of space, but they do like nice, deep substrate to burrow into. I use the local dirt/sand mix from the area where I collect them. I get it wet first, then pack it down and let it dry, so it will hold a stable burrow without collapsing.

They'll eat just about anything, including raw veggies and fruits like sweet potatoes, carrots, romaine lettuce, and apples. The also like dry dog or cat food and will even eat dead crickets.

They like to dig - a lot! I will frequently find dirt or sand on the shelf around the cage that they have tossed out through the screen at the top.

Jesse James

Arachnosquire
They don't need a great deal of space, but they do like nice, deep substrate to burrow into. I use the local dirt/sand mix from the area where I collect them. I get it wet first, then pack it down and let it dry, so it will hold a stable burrow without collapsing.

They'll eat just about anything, including raw veggies and fruits like sweet potatoes, carrots, romaine lettuce, and apples. The also like dry dog or cat food and will even eat dead crickets.

They like to dig - a lot! I will frequently find dirt or sand on the shelf around the cage that they have tossed out through the screen at the top.
will they eat alive crickets or bugs?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They might - I've never tried it. I believe they are more scavengers than predators, though.
They are subterranean predators that spend almost all their life underground. most of their diet is actually grubs, and burrowing arthropods, salamanders (plethodon, which also burrow), scorpions, etc, with tubers chewed on for water.

They are masters at grappling and will tackle prey as large as themselves at times. Ive seen one wrestling with a deermouse, managed to get the upper-hand and decapitated the mouse. Very powerful animals. It didnt survive though, the injuries incurred were too much

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are subterranean predators that spend almost all their life underground. most of their diet is actually grubs, and burrowing arthropods, salamanders (plethodon, which also burrow), scorpions, etc, with tubers chewed on for water.

They are masters at grappling and will tackle prey as large as themselves at times. Ive seen one wrestling with a deermouse, managed to get the upper-hand and decapitated the mouse. Very powerful animals. It didnt survive though, the injuries incurred were too much
Really? That's interesting! Next time I find one, I'll have to try offering it grubs or other live prey! I turned loose the last ones I'd found after the classes I was teaching were over for the summer. (That's usually what I do with wild-caught native species that I've "borrowed" for a few weeks to show the kids.) I have very little experience with predatory orthoptera. Aside from the Jerusalem crickets, I've only had a shield-backed katydid that I also did not realize was predatory - until I caught it munching on some caterpillars with which it was sharing temporary accomodations. The katydid (and surviving caterpillars) were also released after summer school was over.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Mine is a garbage disposal, she eats insects that I had prekilled and the t’s dont eat, live dubias and mealworms, she eats the leftover vegetation from my bearded dragon.

Mine is in a 16oz deli container about 1/3 full of cocofiber.

Packing it down makes no difference, she is a bulldozer and is constantly moving the entire contents of the deli cup.

Jesse James

Arachnosquire
Mine is a garbage disposal, she eats insects that I had prekilled and the t’s dont eat, live dubias and mealworms, she eats the leftover vegetation from my bearded dragon.

Mine is in a 16oz deli container about 1/3 full of cocofiber.

Packing it down makes no difference, she is a bulldozer and is constantly moving the entire contents of the deli cup.

your keeping it in a cup with alittle dirt? You cant afford a critter keeper?

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Wtf is so great about a kritter keeper?

It needs space to live, not a hamster wheel and tropical plants.