Jerusalem Cricket ate through deli.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Apparently that grumpy one was found on Antelope Island. I'll definitely keep that in mind as a place to look for them, although that stance kind of freaks me out. Thankfully, mine has never been that angry.
Well if you become member on Bugguide, you can easily see all the JC records from Utah to help find places to look for them. :)

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Well if you become member on Bugguide, you can easily see all the JC records from Utah to help find places to look for them. :)
I'm already a member, actually. I don't use it a ton except to ID bugs for Facebook, but I'm definitely going to look through it for
God how I would love to keep one of those, they look so awesome! :D I'm not terrified of them, but I definitely would be quite hesitant to handle them without an oven mitt on or something...
They had one with a "sunburst raspy cricket" that I would absolutely love to have. Unfortunately, they didn't give the scientific name, and I haven't found it anywhere. Or they did and I didn't hear it because I mute the videos so I don't have to hear those ridiculously fake growling effects.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I'm already a member, actually. I don't use it a ton except to ID bugs for Facebook, but I'm definitely going to look through it for

They had one with a "sunburst raspy cricket" that I would absolutely love to have. Unfortunately, they didn't give the scientific name, and I haven't found it anywhere. Or they did and I didn't hear it because I mute the videos so I don't have to hear those ridiculously fake growling effects.
The IG user @Chrisweeet has several species of carnivorous crickets that you would like, then. Despite freehandling king cobras, even he is somewhat leery of picking up one of them. Have you heard of the genus Sia? They also feature in those awful bug fights. Basically just a JC with wings and an even worse attitude.

EDIT: search for 'Sia ferox' o_O

Last edited:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
The IG user @Chrisweeet has several species of carnivorous crickets that you would like, then. Despite freehandling king cobras, even he is somewhat leery of picking up one of them. Have you heard of the genus Sia? They also feature in those awful bug fights. Basically just a JC with wings and an even worse attitude.
Haven't heard of Sia, but they sound pretty cool. Although I'm not sure I would want anything meaner than a JC.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking

Well check this out then, it's all the JC records from Utah. :)

I'd take any of the raspy crickets, even our diminutive Camptonotus carolinensis!

search for 'Sia ferox' o_O
Oh man, yeah I'd LOVE to try and breed those! :D

Celestus

Arachnopeon
This is the TRUE Stenopelmatus fuscus. Appears to be a sub-adult male, they mature in fall and winter.

if you want them to be really happy, give them stable substrate to burrow in
Unfortunately we cannot identify this specimen from the photos we have available or the geographic location at which it was originally collected. I will say that it has a head and thorax very similar to that of a S. monahanensis.