Jerusalem Cricket ate through deli.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Could you feed these to T's or would they bite them?
I wouldn't recommend it, they're too fierce and expensive (expensive referring to both the T and the JC) to risk that. The T would almost definitely overpower it eventually, but I imagine that a JC could injure it and take off a toe or a leg. It'd maybe be fine for an OW with strong venom or huge tarantula, but I still don't see the point. They're like $10 each.
It's probably a hypothetical question, but I'm just making sure you don't try that. I don't want a T leg and/or your money going to waste!
I would think the nymphs should be separated as soon as they hatch to avoid cannibalism.
Agreed. Mantids don't cannibalize as babies (usually), but these aren't mantids. They're probably even more cannibalistic and their jaws are definitely much more powerful.
I would really like to see a baby JC, though. They're so cute as adults (some's opinions differ) that they must be positively adorable as babies if you go by the Narceus Law.*

*Let c represent the cuteness of a bug as an adult and s represent the size as a baby in mm, while b is the cuteness as a baby.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Could you feed these to T's or would they bite them?
As someone who's been bit by one of these, NO! They have extreme jaw strength, and are very defensive, I think that even a medium sized Jerusalem cricket could probably kill a large T with no problems, if it could get to the abdomen or even the head.

They are like pitbulls, the won't let go when they bite you, unless you poke them in the rear or somewhere sensitive, then they'll let go and try to bit whatever is touching them there. My finger turned purple in the spot it bit me because there was no blood circulation...

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow. That is adorably awesome. I love the spots.
I know right!? :D

That is cute. They look like ants. I've noticed that the adults pulsate their abdomens and mimic a wasp.
They could very well be mimicking ants, would be interesting if that were true! I doubt that the adults are wasp mimics though, most of the time when disturbed they take on this sort of stance, which isn't like what wasps do at all, IMO they'd be pretty unconvincing mimics. The bright coloration is probably not mimicry, but if anything just a warning they pack a powerful bite.

Stripes may also help break up their coloration and help them blend in better with the substrate they are normally found in, just a thought.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
When they're in their element, jerusalem crickets are fierce predators and have been known to break into anuroctonus burrows and kill the inhabitants

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
This reminds me of our hamsters we had, Phodopus campbelli. They were spawn of the devil, even when you looked at them, they turned on their backs an screeched for dear life :rofl:.
Wow, those little guys are crazy LOL! :D

keks

Arachnobaron
Wow, those little guys are crazy LOL! :D
We had offsprings of these hamsters, an acquaintance didn't believe that they are that aggressive and put his hand into the enclosure to take one out. I think he had about 10 little devils hanging with their teeth on his hand ^^. They are bad.

This crickets are crazy too. I like them gg.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I know right!? :D

They could very well be mimicking ants, would be interesting if that were true! I doubt that the adults are wasp mimics though, most of the time when disturbed they take on this sort of stance, which isn't like what wasps do at all, IMO they'd be pretty unconvincing mimics. The bright coloration is probably not mimicry, but if anything just a warning they pack a powerful bite.

Stripes may also help break up their coloration and help them blend in better with the substrate they are normally found in, just a thought.
Apparently that grumpy one was found on Antelope Island. I'll definitely keep that in mind as a place to look for them, although that stance kind of freaks me out. Thankfully, mine has never been that angry.

@VolkswagenBug Here's another baby, this one looks even younger.
Whoa, that barely even looks like a JC -- it's so black! Pretty cool!

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apparently that grumpy one was found on Antelope Island. I'll definitely keep that in mind as a place to look for them, although that stance kind of freaks me out. Thankfully, mine has never been that angry.

Whoa, that barely even looks like a JC -- it's so black! Pretty cool!
Has Antelope Island been opened back up to the public again? There used to be a road. Depending on the water level of the Great Salt Lake it has been accessible by vehicle from time to time. I've camped out there twice. One time I reached the island in a Bayliner, the other in a two man kayak (setting out from the marina by Saltair). The only thing I found out there were Buffalo.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Has Antelope Island been opened back up to the public again? There used to be a road. Depending on the water level of the Great Salt Lake it has been accessible by vehicle from time to time. I've camped out there twice. One time I reached the island in a Bayliner, the other in a two man kayak (setting out from the marina by Saltair). The only thing I found out there were Buffalo.
I'm pretty sure people are allowed to go there, yeah. I've seen ads for a Spiderfest or something up there. I've never actually been, but I have been to the Great Salt Lake. It's overrated.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Ever seen the Monster Bug Wars video of a raspy cricket eating a tarantula? I am more afraid of carnivorous orthopterans than I am any other insect.
God how I would love to keep one of those, they look so awesome! :D I'm not terrified of them, but I definitely would be quite hesitant to handle them without an oven mitt on or something...

Yikes. I'd say that I'm more afraid of certain wasps, but those do scare me.
I'm terrified of wasps too, can't stand them, bees I'm OK with, but wasps...