Jamie's Tarantulas Enclosure Ventilation C. versicolor sling

malolatif

Arachnopeon
So I have a Jamie's Tarantula sling enclosure for my C. versicolor sling. It seems like it likes it. It webs and everything but I was wondering if anyone knew the material that these sling enclosures are made out of. I feel like I should poke some holes in the top with my soldering iron but I'm not sure if it'll ruin the enclosure. Is it possible to poke holes in Jamie's Tarantulas enclosure and should I considering I read a lot of places that they need extra ventilation. Also, if I do poke holes don't worry everything will be removed and everything will be washed and cooled down afterward. I just want to know if the material is "pokeable" with a soldering iron. Thank you! Attached is a picture of the enclosure. The one on the left. There is only one vent on the front side of it. 45498044_684037581996282_1913998853443420160_n.jpg

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
I have one of these and I'm not a big fan of it, I need to trim the top and put a hinge on a side so it could just flip open instead of pulling it apart. Damn thing gets stuck alot.

malolatif

Arachnopeon
If it is definately acrylic then according to youtube I guess I can poke holes in it with my soldering iron.

I have one of these and I'm not a big fan of it, I need to trim the top and put a hinge on a side so it could just flip open instead of pulling it apart. Damn thing gets stuck alot.
I would really like to do that but I don't really have the tools. It's hard to feed in it too.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Honestly not a fan of them either as they’re a bit of a pain to work with somethings. In the future, whenever you need to rehouse them, here’s a good DIY enclosure idea that is pretty cheap:

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Ya I have a P. Irminia sling in there temporarily, and it is just a modified AMAC box mine seems kind of warped where it opens.

malolatif

Arachnopeon
Honestly not a fan of them either as they’re a bit of a pain to work with somethings. In the future, whenever you need to rehouse them, here’s a good DIY enclosure idea that is pretty cheap:
This is very helpful. Thank you so much!

Ya I have a P. Irminia sling in there temporarily, and it is just a modified AMAC box mine seems kind of warped where it opens.
I just googled AMAX box and you're right. I have a terrestial one and an arboreal one and both are hard to open they kind of scare them.

cold blood

Staff member
Definitely more holes need to be made. I don't like these enclosures, especially for Avic types. The single screen thing is just terrible...not enough venting and screens have all kinds of other issues from tarsal claws getting stuck, to the fact that ts can actually chew through screens.

Screen venting is to be avoided.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
You can buy other types of vents and switch it out just make sure it's the right diameter. Alot of modification can make it work.
Use 3 - 5 mm drill bit for ventilation , as much as possible.
You can trim down the lip on the larger portion, add a hinge and a hasp to put a lock on. Makes it easier to open and close, and secure.
Remove that vent and replace it with a maurice Franklin plastic style vent.
Just a couple small things that can improve it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can melt holes or drill them (I have drilled all my AMAC boxes). I really do dislike those little set ups that shop sells... you can get AMAC boxes at The Container Store or online and set them up a lot better.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Also, if you don't have a Container Store near you, go to Hobby Lobby and look at their model car display cases. They'll have a 40% off coupon on as well so each one would cost around 6-7$. Here’s some examples of what they look like, you can also flip them vertically and make them for arboreals:
7988EA1B-2CAB-45C9-AEE1-15EDE76161A1.jpeg 8A4D93C1-2788-4F65-B598-3E36EF9C5184.jpeg 572F8C53-85B5-4F18-891E-2298CE839F11.jpeg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Had one of these when my Versi was itty bitty and I had my dad drill a bunch of extra holes. The sling did have a chipped fang tho which I suspect happened bc of the wire mesh in the front.

malolatif

Arachnopeon
UPDATE!!!!

So I took the top part of my terrestrial enclosure first, just to try out the holes because if something happened to it I could always make a makeshift roof for it whereas if something happened to the top part of the arboreal enclosure, it would be a problem. I took some masking tape and taped the sides I wanted to make holes in from both the inside and outside. I did this because my head told me to do it I don't know why I did it but whatever. I'm sure it works without. Then I made marks where I wanted holes and lightly pushed my soldering iron through it to make sure the hole didn't get too big. Once it cooled I took the tape off and took a thin screwdriver about the size of the holes and just twisted it around in the holes to make them uniform. Then I took an old nail filer and sanded the inside and outside to make sure there were no sharp plastic pieces sticking out. I then rubbed some oil on the holes to get rid of any tape residue and then washed it off with soap really well. The scratch marks are from the nail filer so I guess if you don't want scratch marks then maybe use a drill? I don't really know but I don't have a drill. This is the result. I will do my arboreal enclosure next and update that as well.

45541574_740902052918008_3665641487762194432_n.jpg

45722419_332688790853435_7277561945492815872_n.jpg