Jaguajir Pintoi

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Formerly known as Rhopalurus Pintoi these big beauties are the most awesome specie i've ever kept. Very Fast , aggressive and defensive
They also stridulate like no other specie ive ever seen. 20170902_130448.jpg

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome! I had absolutely terrible luck with this species. Hope you can get to breeding them! Almost non existent in the hobby now.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Awesome! I had absolutely terrible luck with this species. Hope you can get to breeding them! Almost non existent in the hobby now.
I heard alot of people say they had no luck at all with these. Ive kept them the same way as junceus. I got 5 at 2i size and all are still alive (3.2 adults now)
Ive paired both my females so hopefully soon 1 will pop for me :)

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I kind of like those! Are they about 4 inches long? I read they are from South America, do you know specifically where they are found there?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whoa, didn't know they changed the genus on these guys, guess I need to catch up on my taxonomic changes! Absolutely beautiful species, hope they do well for you! The more (ex)Rhopalurus in the hobby the better!

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I kind of like those! Are they about 4 inches long? I read they are from South America, do you know specifically where they are found there?
Yeah theyre roughly 4 inches with females being almost twice the size of males
theyre from northeastern brazil and i believe a few other areas also but obviously not in huge numbers.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah theyre roughly 4 inches with females being almost twice the size of males
theyre from northeastern brazil and i believe a few other areas also but obviously not in huge numbers.
Do you know the exact area? I'm curious to know what the natural habitat is like they can be found in.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Do you know the exact area? I'm curious to know what the natural habitat is like they can be found in.
No i dont and didnt get much care advice with them from the guy i got them from.
Ive read they are mostly found in vegetation areas under rocks but mine seem more inclined to hang from cork bark. Ive offered them a few different types of hides and all seem to prefer cork

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Whoa, didn't know they changed the genus on these guys, guess I need to catch up on my taxonomic changes! Absolutely beautiful species, hope they do well for you! The more (ex)Rhopalurus in the hobby the better!
the changes were made in June sometime @brandontmyers posted the literature on all the changes in the rhopalurus genus. Its quite the extensive read

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are a lot of good points in the paper. I love the name Rhopalurus, but I feel much better after reading the paper that garridoi, junceus and others are different from pintoi

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a hunch it doesn't feel good when getting stung by one of these, you know, ...like it doesn't feel good way more than it doesn't feel good with some other species. I haven't looked around, is there much data about that?

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
20170817_210127.jpg
I have a hunch it doesn't feel good when getting stung by one of these, you know, ...like it doesn't feel good way more than it doesn't feel good with some other species. I haven't looked around, is there much data about that?
I cant tell you how this specie's sting is for sure but i have been stung twice by its close relative (heteroctenus/ rhopalurus junceus) it is not comfortable at all !!!!
1 was a 3i that got me on top of my left hand. the site of the sting swelled up to the size of half a golf ball and made it hard to move my pinky+ ring fingers. Went away in a few hours ( accident)
2nd sting was adult female and i did it on purpose OUCH !!!!!
same hand almost same spot and i couldnt move my whole hand for almost a day but it did help relieve alot of arthritis i deal with in that hand so said what the heck ill try it !!
****DISCLAIMER*****
Please kids dont try this at home - these experiments were conducted by a professional idiot !!!! Dont be 1 also !!!!!

Last edited:

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
There are a lot of good points in the paper. I love the name Rhopalurus, but I feel much better after reading the paper that garridoi, junceus and others are different from pintoi
yes indeed
Ive always loved the rhopalurus name but now with the differences being documented - the genus name of jaguajir is really cool too. I especially like how to differentiate the Jaguajir pintoi from the other 2 jaguajir species with the V segment of the metasoma being as wide as it is long where as the other 2 it is 1.5 times longer than it is wide. The pics are awesome in that paper ! Again thanks for posting it @brandontmyers :)