Arachnopeon
Hey everyone :)
I just got a big AF P. imperator
from Tim Brown at Wildnmildpets
She's pushing 8 inches and is
quite...robust ( read: FAT )
Her interstitial tissues are distended
all the way around, top, sides, etc.
She's eating dubia and crickets so far. ( 3 weeks)
I've got her in a tank 12"H X 20"L X 10"W
She has about two inches of dead wood chunks
for substrate and a bark half round hide as well.
She has a 3" terracotta dish for water.
I mist the 'strate daily and hopefully I'm maintaining
a decent RH. Even though I keep the house around 78-80F
her tank is against an outside wall and without a heater it
is between 68-72F. I have ZooMed heating pad on the back wall
of her tank on the forward end ( Hide is on the back end)
The wall under the heater is about 106F. The ground directly in front
of it is more like 74F. So, she can get hot when she wants to and
get cool when she wants to. So....how'm I doin'?
Being AF and almost certainly WC I'm kinda thinkin' that there
may be babies on the way. I'm new to scorps and I appreciate
any input ayone may have for me :)
Thanks!
GMB

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the addiction!!!

All sounds good with your setup save for the 'wood chunk' substrate and the misting.

Try for a 'burrowable' sub that will hold moisture. Coco fiber or peat moss 4 to 6 inches deep.

As for humidity, misting is a waste of time to maintain the saturatuion you need for P imps. Try a false bottom setup or more practical just pour some water directly into the substrate. (the new substrate you put in not the wood chunks)

GL on you adventure, hope you get some babies...

Greenmanbacchus

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the addiction!!!

All sounds good with your setup save for the 'wood chunk' substrate and the misting.

Try for a 'burrowable' sub that will hold moisture. Coco fiber or peat moss 4 to 6 inches deep.

As for humidity, misting is a waste of time to maintain the saturatuion you need for P imps. Try a false bottom setup or more practical just pour some water directly into the substrate. (the new substrate you put in not the wood chunks)

GL on you adventure, hope you get some babies...
Thanks Thaedion :) As to the wood chunks, this is very light rotted wood from a firewood pile, broken into one inch and half inch chunks. With very little misting, these chunks are saturated to the point that water flows freely from them when squeezed by hand. Nevertheless, I'm here to seek advice on proper care, not to pretend that I know what I'm doing ;) I very much like the idea of a false bottom...sounds like a more constant humidity with a lot less work, attention etc. I have a finely screened potting soil that serves me well for my Ts. Perhaps it will work well for the Emp. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me...I appreciate it :)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Random question . . . what did you mean by "AF"?

Thaedion's got good advice, by the way. He's the resident expert on forest scorpions, from what I've been able to tell.