I've got a fever...

farSkies

Arachnopeon
... and the only prescription is definitely not more cow bell, but I'll take that Juvie T you got there, thanks! Ok, and some more cow bell too. *cow bell persists*

Hi, I'm Cat, I don't currently have any T's, but I've been doing a lot of research and found this forum, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and I couldn't resist signing up, just joined last night. :D At the moment I'm mainly researching Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens and Caribena Versicolor, GBB's might just be my favorite though. :3

Looking forward to sharing my spider mama journey with you all!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
... and the only prescription is definitely not more cow bell, but I'll take that Juvie T you got there, thanks! Ok, and some more cow bell too. *cow bell persists*

Hi, I'm Cat, I don't currently have any T's, but I've been doing a lot of research and found this forum, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and I couldn't resist signing up, just joined last night. :D At the moment I'm mainly researching Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens and Caribena Versicolor, GBB's might just be my favorite though. :3

Looking forward to sharing my spider mama journey with you all!
We will enable as much as possible then. In other words, we are going to feed the addiction.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I haven’t got any Ts in a few years but still want more. Wish my gbb make woulda hooked later so I coulda bred him R.I.P.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens and Caribena Versicolor
I wouldn't recommend a GBB as a first T though because they are very fast.

A GBB would be a better choice over a versi, a much hardier T- far more forgiving of husbandry errors than versi. However if you decide to get a versi as your first T, please READ a lot about Avics, and BEFORE you actually have the versi being sent to your home- setup its container and post pics so we may provide you input BEFORE you own it. Few people get Avic setups correctly, and many end up with dead Avics.

Last edited:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
GBBs are great 1st Ts from what I heard and saw at my buddy’s house. His first T was GBB female he still has 10 years later. Very beautiful spiders too. Just stunning color.

A GBB would be a better choice over a versi, a much hardier T- far more forgiving of husbandry errors than versi. However if you decide to get a versi as your first T, please READ a lot about Avics, and BEFORE you actually have the versi being sent to your home- setup its container and post pics so we may provide you input BEFORE you own it. Few people get Avic setups correctly, and many end up with dead Avics.
Definitely stay away from Avic slings as a beginner. Sub adult and adults Avics are much more forgiving than the slings. Their slings seem to be very sensitive to the environment they are in. If it’s too wet, warm or cold they don’t do well at all. I got my Avicularia avicularia as a sub adult 3 years ago as my first T. He is still going strong. So they can make good beginner Tarantulas. I just read the slings can be very sensitive at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I think a GBB would make an alright 1st T. It's a good 2nd T for sure. My 1st T was an Avic metallica juvie (but I hadn't found this this site yet, but I did fine I with him). I wouldn't recommend any avic slings as a 1st T for sure.

farSkies

Arachnopeon

Their speed doesn't bother me, I'm experienced with a wide variety of animals, docile, aggressive, calm and skittish, I've been watching a lot of videos, observing their behavior, speed, and darting ability, and I don't find that intimidating at all. I've been reading a ton of information on both the C. Cyaneopubescens and C. Versicolor, from what I've discovered so far from my research, most hobbyists keep their C. Versicolor enclosures far too humid with insufficient airflow. Worry not, I'm a woman of not only passion, but science, all my bases are covered, but I will be more than happy to share my progress with all of you, and will take your opinions and advice into consideration. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm experienced with a wide variety of animals, docile, aggressive, calm and skittish, I've been watching a lot of videos, observing their behavior, speed, and darting ability, and I don't find that intimidating at all.
As an owner of a diverse array of exotic critters, I can tell you that watching videos and owning other animals doesn't help you with these animals. I'm not saying one cannot own Ts hah, far from it, however as you likely know, nothing prepares one for a particular animal until you actually own it. Watching videos does nothing except tell you it's "fast" hah. You'll see.

Watching an OW T, such as Ceratogyrus genus, is nothing like seeing one make a break for it. The same applies to GBB and versi. Remember both species can move faster than a human when needed (I don't mean walk faster either) without one even knowing it is going to happen. They are wild animals.

most hobbyists keep their C. versicolor enclosures far too humid with insufficient airflow
True, thank god someone does research before owning- good luck.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Gbb is a peice if cake my adults two I have , neither had even ran out of it’s cage. As slings had no trouble , just gave them more substrate water to drink .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gbb is a peice if cake my adults two I have , neither had even ran out of it’s cage. As slings had no trouble , just gave them more substrate water to drink .
That's your experience, which will not be true for all. Ts are not clones, they are individuals w/their own behavior. Piece of cake- not for all. Some people have felt they were too fast for them. Everyone is different.

farSkies

Arachnopeon
...as you likely know, nothing prepares one for a particular animal until you actually own it. Watching videos does nothing except tell you it's "fast" hah. You'll see.
I would have to respectfully disagree, there is nothing that I can see in person that I can't also see through someone else's eyes or lens, science has been using observation as a tool for thousands of years. I'm well aware that a GBB can be outside of its enclosure faster than the eye can blink, and that the direction of their bursts of speed are unpredictable, I've seen it in a lot of videos I've watched. This also isn't the only animal that can do this, I've owned all sorts of exotics myself and I'm quite comfortable with that behavior, it's not alarming or surprising to me. I thank you for your warning though, as I'm sure for someone completely inexperienced with such a thing would probably find it startling and hard to manage. <3

True, thank god someone does research before owning- good luck.
I'm a big reader and researcher, I'm a total nerd and I don't like doing anything subpar, if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time! As an animal lover and care giver, it's my responsibility to give them the best lives possible. ^_^

cold blood

Staff member
would have to respectfully disagree, there is nothing that I can see in person that I can't also see through someone else's eyes or lens, science has been using observation as a tool for thousands of years
:rofl:

So not true...lol.

Not that you won't be fine, I am sure you will, you seem responsible and level headed...but watching vids and in person...very different.

Example...driving s a very easy thing, but just watching will not help you drive better or even well. Watching basketball does nothing for one's jump shot.

I always say, I trust someone more with 6 months of actual experience than I ever would someone who's merely done research for a decade.

Best of luck, I think the ts you are looking at are good choices....and this goes a long way toward success..

farSkies

Arachnopeon
:rofl:

So not true...lol.

Not that you won't be fine, I am sure you will, you seem responsible and level headed...but watching vids and in person...very different.

Example...driving s a very easy thing, but just watching will not help you drive better or even well. Watching basketball does nothing for one's jump shot.

I always say, I trust someone more with 6 months of actual experience than I ever would someone who's merely done research for a decade.

Best of luck, I think the ts you are looking at are good choices....and this goes a long way toward success..
I'm not saying that research trumps hands on experience, but I can certainly gauge the possible behavior of an animal by studying it's behavior itself, whether it be in person, through a myriad of video footage of the behavior in question, or extensive internet reading, I don't have to be personally in front of it to know what it does or what it's capable of doing, as those actions and behaviors are well exhibited and displayed in various videos and are well documented in many articles.

Most animal husbandry is just as simple as research, take fish husbandry for example (one of my favorites), you can learn everything you need to learn simply by researching it, you don't need first hand experience, you just need the right knowledge, the right water parameters, the right temp and a cycled tank, along with researching all of the possible illnesses that may arise and all of the snags that may occur, and you prepare for those as well. While sometimes research doesn't translate into practical experience or knowledge, sometimes it does, especially with well studied animals. Tarantulas, specifically the ones I'm interested in, aren't that difficult, all they need is the right setup and food, and an owner who's aware of how to keep them appropriately and what to expect. I get what you're trying to say, but animal husbandry is a science, and it's already been well explained and documented, it's not like having children, there *is* a handbook, and as long as you follow it and know your stuff, then you have all the tools you need to be successful.

All of the research I've ever done with any animal I've owned has been more than enough to prepare me for their care and what exactly to expect. Maybe I dig deeper than some, but I've never been shocked or thought "wow, that's nothing like the research I've done", it's always been exactly like the research I've done, and I've never once been thrown for a loop or surprised after actually having the animal in my care.

Thank you for the well wishes, I'm excited to start putting my enclosure together and branching off into this hobby, I've always had a passion for animals, insects, and arachnids, I can't wait to finally be able to take all of that love, aweand knowledge and channel it into this hobby. <3

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
To a beginner a GBB can be pretty intimidating to rehouse, they are no bother when they settle into an enclosure and build homes.

Rehousing is a different story, they are skittish and fast, kick a lot of hairs and won't hesitate to strike when cornered.

I would strongly recommend a terrestrial NW, Brachypelmas a great place to start.
If you can find an adult/juvinele Euathlus sp red they are also great beginner Ts.
Aphonopelma chalcodes is another good choice.

There is many great NW terrestrials that are hardy and great eaters.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
At the moment I'm mainly researching Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens and Caribena Versicolor, GBB's might just be my favorite though. :3
While not commonly recommended as a first tarantula, I think the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens can work as long as you don't intend to handle it and do all of your maintenance with tongs. (This species is prone to flick urticating hairs, although I lucked out with my boy, who has never flicked hairs at me.)

Care-wise, GBBs are very hardy and are kept dry, which is easy for beginners (no worrying about dialing in the right moisture level). They are fairly fast for a beginner species, but once they have settled into their enclosures and created webs, they tend to retreat into their webs rather than make a bid for freedom.

I agree with @Paul1126 that your greatest challenge is likely to be rehousing. Preparation goes a long way toward ensuring an uneventful rehousing, but experience also plays a role, as it helps you anticipate what can go wrong. When you need to rehouse, feel free to ask for advice on different techniques. We've already done a lot of that groundwork for you and have a wealth of collective experience with what works and what doesn't work.

As far as the Caribena versicolor is concerned, that is a great first arboreal. Avicularia and their kin aren't commonly recommended to new keepers because of the number of "help my dying Avic" threads we see. However, I don't think they're as fragile as they're sometimes made out to be. Rather, I think the high death rate is the result of an unfortunate combination of availability and deadly advice:
  • Brand new keepers often get their first tarantula from a pet store, most of which only carry Grammostola rosea/porteri or Avicularia avicularia. (In other words, new keepers are likely to end up with an Avic.)
  • These are often impulse purchases with no research done in advance.
  • When a brand new keeper comes home with an Avic, he's probably gotten care advice from the pet store or an Internet care sheet, both of which are usually bad. (I've yet to see an Avic properly set up in a pet store.)
  • Many care sheets emphasize trying to keep humidity within an arbitrary range. This misleads new keepers into restricting ventilation in order to raise humidity. Moist, stuffy enclosures are bad for Avics. (In contrast, the new keeper who chose one of the recommended NW terrestrials as his starter tarantula is unlikely to encounter care sheets that would mislead him into creating a moist, stuffy death trap, and these species are more tolerant of other kinds of newbie mistakes.)

That being said, I think Caribena versicolor can work as a first tarantula for someone who is willing to research proper care and listen to feedback, with the following caveats:
  • Get a juvenile or adult (2" or larger), not a sling. Slings are not as forgiving of mistakes, so I don't recommend them to first-time keepers.
  • Disregard any care sheet that specifies a humidity range. Read this post instead.
  • When setting up your first enclosure, post pictures here for feedback before adding your tarantula. (Most of the "help my dying Avic" threads could have been avoided if the owners had done this before their tarantulas' health began to decline.)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Their speed doesn't bother me, I'm experienced with a wide variety of animals, docile, aggressive, calm and skittish, I've been watching a lot of videos, observing their behavior, speed, and darting ability, and I don't find that intimidating at all. I've been reading a ton of information on both the C. Cyaneopubescens and C. Versicolor, from what I've discovered so far from my research, most hobbyists keep their C. Versicolor enclosures far too humid with insufficient airflow. Worry not, I'm a woman of not only passion, but science, all my bases are covered, but I will be more than happy to share my progress with all of you, and will take your opinions and advice into consideration. :)
I'm certain that you wouldn't have issues with a C.cyaneopubescens. They are perfect for (serious) beginners not 'afraid' of just a little (but no big deal at all) of somewhat skittish attitude. They are very hardy and really easy to care for spiders. I say go for one.

Just two things, lovely smiling lady :angelic:

• 'Aggressive' isn't a proper term, 'defensive', instead.
  • No capitalization for the specie/s name, only for the genus, so C.cyaneopubescens :pompous:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Example...driving s a very easy thing
Couldn't agree more, especially in a certain, quite huge, Federal States nation where basically 90% of cars has only two (two!) pedals, instead of the legit, regular three :lock:

Ih ih easy/lazy life VS the joy and pleasure of driving :kiss: :troll:

farSkies

Arachnopeon
While not commonly recommended as a first tarantula, I think the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens can work as long as you don't intend to handle it and do all of your maintenance with tongs. (This species is prone to flick urticating hairs, although I lucked out with my boy, who has never flicked hairs at me.)

I agree with @Paul1126 that your greatest challenge is likely to be rehousing. Preparation goes a long way toward ensuring an uneventful rehousing, but experience also plays a role, as it helps you anticipate what can go wrong. When you need to rehouse, feel free to ask for advice on different techniques. We've already done a lot of that groundwork for you and have a wealth of collective experience with what works and what doesn't work
That's part of what I find appealing about them, not having to handle them, watching them in their habitat. I have plenty of handling animals that require my attention. I do plan on doing maintenance and everything with tongs, a mask and safety goggles, been researching a lot about cleaning and rehousing. <3

I am counting on the wealth of knowledge and ground work that's already been done, here and elsewhere, that's the angle I'm coming from, learning from those who have already paved the way to successful husbandry. That collective experience is always where enthusiasts need to start.

Your comment has been very helpful and informative, thank you for giving me information to help me succeed, instead of discouraging me or talking me out of it. <3

I'm certain that you wouldn't have issues with a C.cyaneopubescens. They are perfect for (serious) beginners not 'afraid' of just a little (but no big deal at all) of somewhat skittish attitude. They are very hardy and really easy to care for spiders. I say go for one.

Just two things, lovely smiling lady :angelic:
  • 'Aggressive' isn't a proper term, 'defensive', instead.
  • No capitalization for the specie/s name, only for the genus, so C.cyaneopubescens :pompous:
Thank you, I think I'm totally going to go for it! :D

The "aggression" statement was in reference to the other animals/creatures I have experience with, not in reference to the tarantula itself.

Your info about the species and genus is extremely helpful, I didn't realize that, thank you for that tidbit, it's the first time I've been corrected on that and I really appreciate it. <3

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would have to respectfully disagree, there is nothing that I can see in person that I can't also see through someone else's eyes or lens, science has been using observation as a tool for thousands of years. I'm well aware that a GBB can be outside of its enclosure faster than the eye can blink, and that the direction of their bursts of speed are unpredictable, I've seen it in a lot of videos I've watched. This also isn't the only animal that can do this, I've owned all sorts of exotics myself and I'm quite comfortable with that behavior, it's not alarming or surprising to me. I thank you for your warning though, as I'm sure for someone completely inexperienced with such a thing would probably find it startling and hard to manage. <3

I'm a big reader and researcher, I'm a total nerd and I don't like doing anything subpar, if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time! As an animal lover and care giver, it's my responsibility to give them the best lives possible. ^_^
I’m glad you’re a big researcher- far too few are.

There is one thing you have wrong. Your use of science and observation.

Science has been using DIRECT observation to gain empirical data. That’s a huge difference than watching videos from another person, which in our case here is second hand information; they are not the same at all.

One doesn’t watch videos to determine how molecules or cells interact from another person. one actually experiments to accept or reject one’s hypothesis. Direct evidence vs indirect evidence big difference.

Your mischaracterization of science and observation is not accurate.

But I digress, PM me if you want to chat about research methods.

Keep us posted on the T!

Don’t use tongs to let the T take a prey item as many do in videos. They are efficient ambush predators that need no help in that dept ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

farSkies

Arachnopeon
I’m glad you’re a big researcher- far too few are.

There is one thing you have wrong. Your use of science and observation.

Science has been using DIRECT observation to gain empirical data. That’s a huge difference than watching videos from another person, which in our case here is second hand information; they are not the same at all.

One doesn’t watch videos to determine how molecules or cells interact from another person. one actually experiments to accept or reject one’s hypothesis. Direct evidence vs indirect evidence big difference.

Your mischaracterization of science and observation is not accurate.

But I digress, PM me if you want to chat about research methods.

Keep us posted on the T!
I'm sorry, but if you think that science doesn't use video evidence of animal behavior, then you are quite mistaken, for some animals video evidence of their behavior is all we have, and that is a valid form of observation.