Ive got 2 new spiderlings advice would be great

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Hello so ive recieved 2 spiderlings
G. Pultripes sorry for spelling (they are smaller then my finger nail) and they obvs need rehousing into the new tiny tubs i have (they are like 25ml i think) and i also have a substrate (i bought both on the spidershopuk) just a few questions (should of probs asked before but it took me ages to find out how to ask a question on here haha) so...
1. How should i look after the substrate? Spray? Completely dry? Best advice
2. I have some bean weevil culture that has tiny bugs in too feed them so how many and when from unboxing them from shipping?
3. Temperature? What temp should i keep them at and on google it said they would be used to rain in the wild so if my flat wasnt always 100% warm would it be okay untill i got home to put heating on?
4. Will they burrow? Young? Because that would have something to do with how much i put inside the little containers for them
5.how would she drink what do you suggest especially in such a small pot "ideal for spiderlings"
6.they are both unsexed so how would i be able to sex them? Something to do with there molt?

Thanks for any advice or anything

You dont have to read this bit if u dont want to:

I already have a g. Rosea shes always calm never reared at me or anything calm and perfect i feed her 2 crickets a week (wont feed crickets to spiderlings or visa versa dont worry haha) she is fine the container that shes in i was told by the lady that has about 3,000 tarantulas (no joke) that itd be perfect even at room temperature so i can look after a tarantula its pretty easy tbf but i got the spiderlings online as a christmas gift to my self im sure everyones been there at some point i also have a hamster that does like eating the odd cricket now and again haha

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Hello so ive recieved 2 spiderlings
G. Pultripes sorry for spelling (they are smaller then my finger nail) and they obvs need rehousing into the new tiny tubs i have (they are like 25ml i think) and i also have a substrate (i bought both on the spidershopuk) just a few questions (should of probs asked before but it took me ages to find out how to ask a question on here haha) so...
2. I have some bean weevil culture that has tiny bugs in too feed them so how many and when from unboxing them from shipping?
3. Temperature? What temp should i keep them at and on google it said they would be used to rain in the wild so if my flat wasnt always 100% warm would it be okay untill i got home to put heating on?
4. Will they burrow? Young? Because that would have something to do with how much i put inside the little containers for them
5.how would she drink what do you suggest especially in such a small pot "ideal for spiderlings"
6.they are both unsexed so how would i be able to sex them? Something to do with there molt?

Thanks for any advice or anything

You dont have to read this bit if u dont want to:

I already have a g. Rosea shes always calm never reared at me or anything calm and perfect i feed her 2 crickets a week (wont feed crickets to spiderlings or visa versa dont worry haha) she is fine the container that shes in i was told by the lady that has about 3,000 tarantulas (no joke) that itd be perfect even at room temperature so i can look after a tarantula its pretty easy tbf but i got the spiderlings online as a christmas gift to my self im sure everyones been there at some point i also have a hamster that does like eating the odd cricket now and again haha
Hi! Congrats on the G. pulchripes slings, I have one myself that's a joy to keep. I'm gonna address these according to how you listed.

1. These guys, and Grammostola in general, like it dry. Slings dehydrate easier, so lightly wetting down a corner from time to time may be recommended, but I personally keep mine dry and have a bottle cap full of water available at all times and will slightly overflow it on occasion. Mine has been doing just fine. Misting should be avoided.

2. Most people recommend waiting a few days before trying to feed new acquisitions, and I offer prey items to my slings 3 times a week. Note - small crickets are perfectly fine for slings, just remove them if left uneaten after 12-24 hours.

3. Tarantulas don't need to be kept at specific temperatures unlike reptiles, and most, like yours, are okay at room temperature. Anywhere between 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit is acceptable, but keep in mind staying on the higher end will likely promote faster growth rates.

4. A lot of species burrow as slings to feel safer and/or to molt, and G. pulchripes is no exception. Id offer a few inches of substrate so they can burrow if they'd like.

5. As mentioned earlier, bottle caps work great for small slings. Also, slings/tarantulas drowning in water dishes is a myth - some species like H. gigas have actually been documented willingly submerging themselves entirely without incident!

6. There are 2 common ways to sex a T - ventral sexing, where you can get a decent indication of tge sex by looking at the epigastric furrow - a slit that rests just below the first pair of book lungs. Females tend to have a much more pronounced furrow, but save for select species, this method works dubious at best. Option 2, and the only method that will give you a 100% accurate answer, is to sex the molt. You remember the mention of the epigastric furrow? This is more prominent on a female tarantula due to it playing a key roll in tarantula mating - a mature male will deposit his pedipalps within the furrow and into what it hides - spermatheca. How is this relevant to molt sexing? Well, on a female tarantula, particularly subadult or mature females, the spermatheca are present in the molt. And unlike the epigastric furrow, only females have spermatheca!

Your slings are likely far too small right now to even guess within a mile of accuracy, ventrally, and molt sexing would only be feasible with a microscope, but I'm willing to bet you could get a confirmed sex via molt around the 2 inch mark. Unfortunately, G. pulchripes are moderately slow growers.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your new Ts! And say hi to your Rosie for me! :D

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Hi! Congrats on the G. pulchripes slings, I have one myself that's a joy to keep. I'm gonna address these according to how you listed.

1. These guys, and Grammostola in general, like it dry. Slings dehydrate easier, so lightly wetting down a corner from time to time may be recommended, but I personally keep mine dry and have a bottle cap full of water available at all times and will slightly overflow it on occasion. Mine has been doing just fine. Misting should be avoided.

2. Most people recommend waiting a few days before trying to feed new acquisitions, and I offer prey items to my slings 3 times a week. Note - small crickets are perfectly fine for slings, just remove them if left uneaten after 12-24 hours.

3. Tarantulas don't need to be kept at specific temperatures unlike reptiles, and most, like yours, are okay at room temperature. Anywhere between 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit is acceptable, but keep in mind staying on the higher end will likely promote faster growth rates.

4. A lot of species burrow as slings to feel safer and/or to molt, and G. pulchripes is no exception. Id offer a few inches of substrate so they can burrow if they'd like.

5. As mentioned earlier, bottle caps work great for small slings. Also, slings/tarantulas drowning in water dishes is a myth - some species like H. gigas have actually been documented willingly submerging themselves entirely without incident!

6. There are 2 common ways to sex a T - ventral sexing, where you can get a decent indication of tge sex by looking at the epigastric furrow - a slit that rests just below the first pair of book lungs. Females tend to have a much more pronounced furrow, but save for select species, this method works dubious at best. Option 2, and the only method that will give you a 100% accurate answer, is to sex the molt. You remember the mention of the epigastric furrow? This is more prominent on a female tarantula due to it playing a key roll in tarantula mating - a mature male will deposit his pedipalps within the furrow and into what it hides - spermatheca. How is this relevant to molt sexing? Well, on a female tarantula, particularly subadult or mature females, the spermatheca are present in the molt. And unlike the epigastric furrow, only females have spermatheca!

Your slings are likely far too small right now to even guess within a mile of accuracy, ventrally, and molt sexing would only be feasible with a microscope, but I'm willing to bet you could get a confirmed sex via molt around the 2 inch mark. Unfortunately, G. pulchripes are moderately slow growers.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your new Ts! And say hi to your Rosie for me! :D
Ive done everything right so far then :) what do you feed your spiderlings? Have u ever fed them anything other then crickets? And just a quick question do been weevils fly? As they are in a box now but how do i get one or 2 out and would leaving it a week first be okay before i feed the spiderlings and my rosea is called rosie haha i said someone said hello and she just moved one leg haha i will try get a good picture later she is the most beautiful creature ive ever seen and thanks for all that info :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Just pipette a few drops of water onto a area of the substrate to keep it moist, spraying isn't a good way to add moisture and often just annoys the tarantula.

I've never used those as feeders so I can't comment on how good they are (I breed red runner roaches and mealworms so that covers most of my feeder needs), my general rule for feeding is to feed prey items that are around the same size as the tarantula's abdomen, you can feed slings that size twice a week until they hit around 1.5-2 inches.

I wait 24hrs before feeding any new acquisitions.

Room temperature is fine, ideally you want to keep them at over 20C but as long as it doesn't drop below 18C in the room they're in for extended periods of time then you shouldn't have any issues.

Yeah, slings will burrow until they hit 1.5"-2", they'll stay out in the open more as they grow larger.

I found the best thing for enclosures that are too small to accommodate a water dish is to put a small clump of sphagnum moss in the enclosure and then pipette a few drops of water onto it every few days to keep it moist, they get most of their fluids from prey though.

Moult sexing is the most reliable way to determine the sex but you can vent sex from around 2" upwards if you have a keen eye and know what you're looking for, moults can be sexed at 1.5" with a small currency microscope.

Either way, you're going to be waiting a several months before you can even take a crack at it.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Just pipette a few drops of water onto a area of the substrate to keep it moist, spraying isn't a good way to add moisture and often just annoys the tarantula.

I've never used those as feeders so I can't comment on how good they are (I breed red runner roaches and mealworms so that covers most of my feeder needs), my general rule for feeding is to feed prey items that are around the same size as the tarantula's abdomen, you can feed slings that size twice a week until they hit around 1.5-2 inches.

I wait 24hrs before feeding any new acquisitions.

Room temperature is fine, ideally you want to keep them at over 20C but as long as it doesn't drop below 18C in the room they're in for extended periods of time then you shouldn't have any issues.

Yeah, slings will burrow until they hit 1.5"-2", they'll stay out in the open more as they grow larger.

I found the best thing for enclosures that are too small to accommodate a water dish is to put a small clump of sphagnum moss in the enclosure and then pipette a few drops of water onto it every few days to keep it moist, they get most of their fluids from prey though.

Moult sexing is the most reliable way to determine the sex but you can vent sex from around 2" upwards if you have a keen eye and know what you're looking for, moults can be sexed at 1.5" with a small currency microscope.

Either way, you're going to be waiting a several months before you can even take a crack at it.
Thats perfect thanks so much for the info ive got them with coco fibre and its dry may add water too it later today or when she settles and will get a syringe (idk how to spell it lol) and a thermometer just to be on safe side and would my rosea eat meal worms? As the crickets just eat or fight each other no matter how many times i feed or how big the container is but yeah they seem calm and cool so easily rehoused too :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
would my rosea eat meal worms?
How big is your G. rosea? Mealworms are good for slings and smaller juveniles.

As the crickets just eat or fight each other no matter how many times i feed or how big the container is
Do they have a constant water source (bug gel or similar)?

I found that crickets tend to cannibalise as soon as they run out of water.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
And just a quick question do been weevils fly?
You tell us lol.

Slings are usually happy to scavenge. You can feed them pieces of cricket. I would avoid feeding them adult weevils, dead or otherwise, because a sling might have trouble eating it (too hard to get a fang in). Cricket pieces or grubs with squished heads would be fine.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
How big is your G. rosea? Mealworms are good for slings and smaller juveniles.

Do they have a constant water source (bug gel or similar)?

I found that crickets tend to cannibalise as soon as they run out of water.
Well they have apples and they would get juice from that and they also have wet paper towel that gets changed every 2 days so they have water 24/7 and food every 3 days and loads of room

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
You tell us lol.

Slings are usually happy to scavenge. You can feed them pieces of cricket. I would avoid feeding them adult weevils, dead or otherwise, because a sling might have trouble eating it (too hard to get a fang in). Cricket pieces or grubs with squished heads would be fine.
I dont wanna open the container incase they all fly about and escape lol and will try the cricket thing :) but may be too big for the slings they are smalled then my thumb nails

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Well they have apples and they would get juice from that and they also have wet paper towel that gets changed every 2 days so they have water 24/7 and food every 3 days and loads of room
I'd personally go with bug gel as a water source, it's really cheap and lasts ages, the problem with using fruit is that the stuff that doesn't just break down into mush will just dry out really quickly.

For crickets all you need is oatmeal/bran mixed with fish food to eat and bug gel for water, I never had any cannibalism unless the bug gel ran out.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
I'd personally go with bug gel as a water source, it's really cheap and lasts ages, the problem with using fruit is that the stuff that doesn't just break down into mush will just dry out really quickly.

For crickets all you need is oatmeal/bran mixed with fish food to eat and bug gel for water, I never had any cannibalism unless the bug gel ran out.
I have ordered some in the post thanks for the info :)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
All I have are slings, and I pit mine in these, and I find these enclosures awesome. Slings in there are 1/2” to 1”

A small water dish will the care of a sling’s thirstiness, and as well as humidity.

You can start feeding once a sling settles in (it takes from a day to a week), and feed once every three days will do (either weakened ones or pre killed ones)

62B89D96-8C3A-4CF4-9265-87E302EE86E6.jpeg

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
All I have are slings, and I pit mine in these, and I find these enclosures awesome. Slings in there are 1/2” to 1”
A small water dish will the care of a sling’s thirstiness, and as well as humidity.

You can start feeding once a sling settles in (it takes from a day to a week), and feed once every three days will do (either weakened ones or pre killed ones)

View attachment 260043
What do you use for waterdish i really like your enclosure are they ferroro roche (sorry for spelling lol) i might get some :) and use your idea and what did u use to get the holes?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Nope those are sold at an American store called Hobby Lobby, they're individual display cases for match box cars. I use them too. And the water dishes are tattoo ink cups if I'm not mistaken.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Nope those are sold at an American store called Hobby Lobby, they're individual display cases for match box cars. I use them too. And the water dishes are tattoo ink cups if I'm not mistaken.
You are not mistaken at all!

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon

Very nice they look like ferrero rocher cases idk if you have them in america and do you watch 'the dark den' on youtube :) and i may use your idea and my slings are way too small for a waterdish atm :)