I've decided on my next tarantulas

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Ok so I think I've finally decided what I want next. Ive decided on a P. Cambridgei and a P. Irminia. I think these are beautiful spiders and i need to get an arboreal. I don't know when im gunna order then yet.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Can't go wrong with either.. Can't go wrong with any member of Psalmopoeus family as long as you can deal with fast defensive Tarantulas.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Do you have any experience with Avicularia? Arboreals are -super- fast. If you haven't dealt with any Avicularia or Tapinauchenius, you might benefit from picking up an Avic or the C. versicolor that used to be an Avic. They aren't usually defensive and their venom is less medically significant than Psalmos. Here are the bite reports for P. Irminia, if you haven't already looked them over.

If you decide you want to go straight to Psalmopoeus, I've heard the P. pulcher has less of a bite, so to speak. Here are bite reports for them. My 4" female was still very defensive. I never got more threat postures from any T in my collection. They're also very beautiful spiders. Pictures don't really do them justice. Here is a picture of mine.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Psalmopoeus cambridgei is said to be the least defensive of the genus, and as it gets bigger, it's more likely to be out on display.

Some additional information for @Devin B.
Agreed, they are more prone to mistaking you for food. P.irminia would be considered the most defensive.
I only meant that I've read their venom is slightly less medically significant--
Where did you read this? I would imagine their venom potency is somewhat similar as both are NW arboreals from the same genus.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Agreed, they are more prone to mistaking you for food. P.irminia would be considered the most defensive.

Where did you read this? I would imagine their venom potency is somewhat similar as both are NW arboreals from the same genus.
I honestly couldn't tell you anymore, this was way back in 2014 and at this point it might have been completely debunked or it could have been something that someone said while talking out their bum.

So I suppose I shouldn't have said that in a way that seemed certain in my original post. I've been out of the hobby for three years and I'm positive I missed a lot. I've tried my best to specify that my knowledge is dated in other posts and didn't this time. Maybe I should just make that my new signature: 'IDK, maybe, it's been a while' lol. Apologies for any confusion I might have caused!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Devin B
Lovely genus. Do you have a bit of experience with fast terrestrials? Gbb, Hapalopus sp, that sort of species?
Psalmopoeus are quite fast and can be unpredictable. I'd go for the P.cambridgei, more visible and less defensive. P.irminia is the most defensive and reclusive, P.pulcher can be quite defensive and a bit nervous. All beautiful spiders, but they can be a bit of a handful ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
@Devin B
Lovely genus. Do you have a bit of experience with fast terrestrials? Gbb, Hapalopus sp, that sort of species?
Psalmopoeus are quite fast and can be unpredictable. I'd go for the P.cambridgei, more visible and less defensive. P.irminia is the most defensive and reclusive, P.pulcher can be quite defensive and a bit nervous. All beautiful spiders, but they can be a bit of a handful ;)
My pulcher once threw a threat pose when I was observing her enclosure without touching it. I exhaled softly, but some of my breath must have gone through one of the holes and bam, threat posture. Maybe I forgot to brush my teeth that morning?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My pulcher once threw a threat pose when I was observing her enclosure without touching it. I exhaled softly, but some of my breath must have gone through one of the holes and bam, threat posture. Maybe I forgot to brush my teeth that morning?
I know the feeling. One of mine actually comes out of her nest/tube/burrow thingy to slap at me when I breathe on her enclosure. Fangs spread and all! :eek:
My other one runs for cover though, the complete opposite. :p

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you decide you want to go straight to Psalmopoeus, I've heard the P. pulcher has less of a bite, so to speak.
P.irminia would be considered the most defensive.
My juvenile pulcher is the most scatty/defensive of my Psalmos, it's 50/50 as to whether he will bolt or threat pose/slap, my female irminia is the calmest/most visible out of the lot, my cambridgei is pretty skittish and hides a lot but does occasionally come out of its cork tube for a wander.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I know the feeling. One of mine actually comes out of her nest/tube/burrow thingy to slap at me when I breathe on her enclosure. Fangs spread and all! :eek:
My other one runs for cover though, the complete opposite. :p
Ahahaha, you know they're mad when they start wiggling their fangs at you! Nothing can make your stomach flip faster, but once you get used to it there is definitely a beauty to it.

My juvenile pulcher is the most scatty/defensive of my Psalmos, it's 50/50 as to whether he will bolt or threat pose/slap, my female irminia is the calmest/most visible out of the lot, my cambridgei is pretty skittish and hides a lot but does occasionally come out of its cork tube for a wander.
Mm, and what a perfect example of Psalmos being so unpredictable. I suppose when it comes to any tarantula it's better to expect the meanest spider you could get and prepare accordingly. Then, if it is calm you've lucked out and if it is the meanest spider ever you're ready for it.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
@Devin B
I have experience with a GBB (i got it as a 1 inch sling, its now 4 inches and, i have experience with an OBT which i got at a half inch and is now 2.5 inches.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I might only get the P. Cambridgei but its hard to justify shipping cost for only 1 T. So thats why I wanted to get both.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Do you have any experience with Avicularia? Arboreals are -super- fast. If you haven't dealt with any Avicularia or Tapinauchenius, you might benefit from picking up an Avic or the C. versicolor that used to be an Avic. They aren't usually defensive and their venom is less medically significant than Psalmos. Here are the bite reports for P. Irminia, if you haven't already looked them over.

If you decide you want to go straight to Psalmopoeus, I've heard the P. pulcher has less of a bite, so to speak. Here are bite reports for them. My 4" female was still very defensive. I never got more threat postures from any T in my collection. They're also very beautiful spiders. Pictures don't really do them justice. Here is a picture of mine.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Thank you for the link I am always glad to learn as much as possible about potential pets. I read somewhere that a P. Cambridgei sling was a good starter arboreal sling. That's why I wanted to start there.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the link I am always glad to learn as much as possible about potential pets. I read somewhere that a P. Cambridgei sling was a good starter arboreal sling. That's why I wanted to start there.
A good starter arboreal? Ehhhh, I personally don't think that's true. But it goes back to what do you have experience with? If you've already dealt with fast, defensive Ts then a P. Cambridgei acquisition isn't that far of a step. If you've only dealt with Brachys and Grammys and such, then a P. cambridgei might overwhelm you.

Edit: Ah, I see now that you have OBT experience. Well then you might be alright with a Psalomopoeus.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
A good starter arboreal? Ehhhh, I personally don't think that's true. But it goes back to what do you have experience with? If you've already dealt with fast, defensive Ts then a P. Cambridgei acquisition isn't that far of a step. If you've only dealt with Brachys and Grammys and such, then a P. cambridgei might overwhelm you.

Edit: Ah, I see now that you have OBT experience. Well then you might be alright with a Psalomopoeus.
Yeah one of EulersK videos titled beginger slings he recommended then as they are hardier than avics as slings. I plan to get my T's as slings that's why I was leaning towards the P. Cambridgei

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah one of EulersK videos titled beginger slings he recommended then as they are hardier than avics as slings. I plan to get my T's as slings that's why I was leaning towards the P. Cambridgei
Yeah, I don't think that was the best move on his part...

@miss moxie welcome back. :)

Corcor

Arachnopeon
First time I rehoused my irminia she bolted, landed on my foot and tagged me. She was only 2" at the time so it wasn't bad, but it was a very dramatic learning experience.
My Cambridgei is always out in the open and calm whenever I have to work with her. I've watched her bolt at prey, she is wicked fast, but she seems pretty un-interested in me.
Both are awesome, just have the expectation that they want to bolt all the time and you'll have two great species.