I've created a monster...

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Last week, my hubby summoned me into our livingroom to evacuate a nice little Lycosa sp. before he killed it...

...so I scooped up the little guy into a nice sized jar with some loose moss, a couple twigs and a fat, juicy cricket. :p Wha?? I wanted him to be full when I put him back outside. Well, I took the jar outside and left it under my jasmine vine, so my little "wolfie" could wander on to his freedom.

Yesterday, I checked on him and a larger one of the same had crept into "wolfie's" jar and was trying to catch one of his crickets.... until he noticed the larger spidey kid and chased him/her out of his house. {D

When I went out to check on "wolfie" last night, he was still in his jar. :rolleyes:

Do you think the fact that I've fed him and supplied him a nice cozy spot to hang out has encouraged him to stick around? Is this a bad thing? Am I endangering him in any way by feeding him and letting him "squat" in my jar?

What should I do?

btw, he also walks around on my hand and arm occasionally :D

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats great! you should just keep it as a pet if you like.. there are obviously lots where you are if ANOTHER one came in its "home" I like my Lycosa.. it just burrows most of the time but it is a funny little thing. they are pretty calm for the most part as well. but very fast when they want to be. so I would say you certainly arent hurting it by giving it a home and food and its your call whether you want to keep Wolfie or not.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Yes that is true! They make excellent pets! I always get one every year to keep for a few months :) They spoil easy! How cool!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks!

I think my little guy told his friends outside that this is a cool place to hang out... another little one showed up on the wall near my computer desk :rolleyes: They are quick little spiders, so I don't know where she ran off to.

I am somewhat of a magnet for critters of all kinds, so "the more the merrier" :D

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats cool. I have jumping spiders that live in my house. they are a large Phiddipus sp. and I know where they all live. when I see them looking for food I catch them in a pill bottle and give them a cricket. they eat then wander off back home. its funny :D

Christopher

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe Wolfie's cousins have discovered the cricket bin in my gecko room... or the strays that my cat helps escape :rolleyes: Aneesa likes to play with the crickets...

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thasts funny I have 2 male cats who love the crickets.. and I think the crickets are why the spiders moved in as well! stupid crickets.