I've Been Bit . . .

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
. . . by the tarantula addiction bug.

I had decided when I got my first T, that it would be my only T. Then I bought four more slings. Last week I bought a couple more, a Texas Tan (nice handling spider!) and another rosie. Unfortunately the rosie, which looked like a full adult female, didn't survive the mail :(

Now I'm ready to take the plunge the rest of the way. Next week I plan on ordering several more, including my first Asian, probably a pokie. Anyone want to talk me out of my addiction? ;P ;P

I guess the next step, at some point, is to try and mate some Ts. Ah, heck, why not the week after next. =D

Can anyone relate?

Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think everybody gets bit. I did anyways. I am going to buy a Suntiget today.

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Parents are the Anti-Venom,They stop me from getting too many.But soon i'll have four T's:D

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Bryan, it has only just begun. Let us know when you reach the point where you are secretly diverting funds towards buying more T's and are lying to relatives by telling them that you are "not doing T's anymore" :D

Gail

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im very new to the hobby. i dont even have one T yet but my first, a female juvenile chile rose is coming in the mail this week from craigs arachnids. i cant wait! im also going to get either a salmon pink or a curly hair quite soon.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can relate,

I picked up 8 more today. 7 slings and 1 adult male G.rosea for breeding.:D

E

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
Bryan, it has only just begun. Let us know when you reach the point where you are secretly diverting funds towards buying more T's and are lying to relatives by telling them that you are "not doing T's anymore" :D

Gail
Are you speaking from experience? ;)

LOL

Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats Jono_mad and welcome aboard! Keep us posted on your progress and read, read, read.

Botar

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jono_mad
im very new to the hobby. i dont even have one T yet but my first, a female juvenile chile rose is coming in the mail this week from craigs arachnids. i cant wait! im also going to get either a salmon pink or a curly hair quite soon.
You just wait :D

If you are looking for another very sweet T, try a Texas Tan. The one I got just a couple days ago is very gentle.

Bryan

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
a curlyhair and salmon pink birdeater are very different spiders, do alot of research to make sure your not getting yourself into something you don't want to! I know I cant handle a 10-11 inch spider without fear,

good luck!

Mark

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Exodus
Parents are the Anti-Venom,They stop me from getting too many.But soon i'll have four T's:D
Ah schucks! So, what's going to happen when you are on your own? Need I ask? :cool:

Bryan

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by bness2
Are you speaking from experience? ;)

LOL

Bryan
ah, hum, well, um, what ever would give you that idea :? :?

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good for you....another convert (T addict!)
now when people ask me how many I have, I tell them I don't know...since I really have no idea!
Isn't that frightening?!
OK...I just counted...it's 82, including slings and the 5 I'm T sitting....YIKES!!!!!

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
a curlyhair and salmon pink birdeater are very different spiders, do alot of research to make sure your not getting yourself into something you don't want to! I know I cant handle a 10-11 inch spider without fear,

good luck!

Mark
ok thanks. ive already done some research on salmon pinks but i saw a curly hair the other day and thought 'i have to have one!'

also, thanks for the welcome people! i will keep you posted on future events. i look foward to getting lots of Ts!:D

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Exodus
Guess I'm lucky with my parents. When I first went to an insect/spider show in december 2001 I was not thinking of buying anything, and didn't know anything about tarantulas. Anyway, I ended up buying 2 spiderlings B. smithi (you can see a photo of one of them as it looks today in the 'can someone explain the instar system' thread). When I came home my mother said: "I'd be really worried if you had come home empty-handed" :D
Anyway, after that buy I really started to read all about T's, and I now consider myself a real addict! (have 8 now + the Orb weaver, check other arachnids forum).
I think it would be easier to stop smoking than to stop with the T's...;)

scarkro

Arachnopeon
hey i think collecting spiders is like tattoos u can'y have just one
i 've been in the hobby a little under a year and have 11 spiders now

today i am going to a show in NY looking for more i'm hopefully picking up a stichoplastoris lingistylus

but we all have "the bug" (no pun intended)

good luck and keep sharing

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know what any of you are talking about? Addiction nah. I meant to come home with those 14 new tarantulas (and one empty wallet) this past July.:rolleyes:

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by bness2
. . . by the tarantula addiction bug.

I had decided when I got my first T, that it would be my only T. Then I bought four more slings. Last week I bought a couple more, a Texas Tan (nice handling spider!) and another rosie. Unfortunately the rosie, which looked like a full adult female, didn't survive the mail :(

Now I'm ready to take the plunge the rest of the way. Next week I plan on ordering several more, including my first Asian, probably a pokie. Anyone want to talk me out of my addiction? ;P ;P

I guess the next step, at some point, is to try and mate some Ts. Ah, heck, why not the week after next. =D

Can anyone relate?

Bryan

I understand what you mean.I started with 1 chilie rose,then a red knee and now theres 4 more coming next week.And im still looking for an Avicularia so thats next i suppose.I will have to build some sort of system to house all these tanks!!

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: I've Been Bit . . .

Originally posted by chid
I understand what you mean.I started with 1 chilie rose,then a red knee and now theres 4 more coming next week.And im still looking for an Avicularia so thats next i suppose.I will have to build some sort of system to house all these tanks!!
Maybe new house with a tarantula room? =D =D

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
When I came home my mother said: "I'd be really worried if you had come home empty-handed" :D
Sounds like you have smart parents. Parents need to look at the alternatives, a kid with a large T collection or a kid with a large drug paraphernalia collection. I was always willing to encourage my kids in any "innocent" past-time, even if it involved a few dangerous creatures (not saying Ts are dangerous, but I would put up with more.)

On the other hand, although my wife would tolerate a T collection, it just works better to keep them at my office. :p

Bryan