Itsy bitsy tiny slings

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok got my slings today! two of em :) The regalis is about an inch size, the boehmei, well tiny! like my fingernail! how the heck do i keep this little bug alive? hehe, it's so tiny, it could live a year on ONE crick leg (planning on feeding em mostly dead crix, would be a bit hassle trying to get pinheads here.) So any tips?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just keep them moist and feed them what they'll eat. They'll amaze you at how hardy they are. I've raised a fair number of slings from about 1/4" (0.5 cm) and they do very well. It's awesome watching a sling that tiny take down a cricket as big as it is :)

In a year or so, you'll have a mini-adult looking juve and you'll be amazed at where it started.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i hope they are as hardy as you say ;) the boehmei at least.. our regular tegeneria housespiders would eat it as an appeticer ..

But will it do ok eating cricketparts (damn hope they'll accept it.. else ill have to try ordering pinheads from..somewhere;)) till it's big enough to handle the smallest size crix they deliver at the local petstores?

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You'll be fine with cricket parts. I use them all the time too. The only thing I do to help the teeny slings is I'll split the larger cricket drumsticks so it's easier for them to eat.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah.. them tiny fangs.. ill go find a SHARP knife them ;) good thing the crickets are such hardkilled beings.. damn these bugs can run around with just their antennas' ;)

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hurrhurr, replying my own threads ;)

anyway, both slings are eating a leg each now.. though i think the boehmei can feast on that leg for a year =D

Another thing, what's the average moltrate for slings that TINY?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I haven't had my own tiny boehmi long enough to give you a figure for them, but if they compare to smithi, emilia, and other slow growing Brachypelma, figure about once every six to eight weeks.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
But will i do ok eating cricketparts
Perhaps someone your size should consider eating whole crickets.

Bill.

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Hey schlinkey, here's one of your Reglis sling's siblings, do they look a like?:D :D

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe mine's so tiny, i'm keeping it in the vial :) Yours havent molted or anything in your care?

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They haven't molted yet, and my pinheads are going F-A-S-T!!
Hopefully they will molt soon, and be able to take larger crickets.

Here's a couple of pics of the cage I've got them set up in.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey tito,

That's a mighty large cage for a sling, and I notice you say 'they'.. do you keep em communally? and if so, at what point do you plan to separate them?

Bill

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
three slings in there :) how do you keep track of em? and feed em? mine are eating cricketlegs as i type this..

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They've settled in quite nicely, when it's feeding time I just dump a load of pinheads close to where each T has settled down and the pinheads do the rest themselves:D

As to when I'm gonna seperate them, I don't know. Hopefully I will be able to keep them together up to and even after they've reached adulthood.