It's a Red Claw Scorpion

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I just realized my scorpion was a Red Claw Scorpion (Pandinus Cavimanus). I've been thinking it was an Emperor Scorpion because the seller told me it was one. But I guess he lied.

Actually to be honest the claws did rather look a bit reddish, but that was the only thing that made it look different from a real Emperor Scorpion.

It also was VERY aggressive last night. I just touched the claws and wow it was attacking and stinging my tongs aggressively. When I gently touched the side of him, he always uses his stinger. When I touch the back of his tail, he quickly immidiately turns around and openly holds up his claws at me. It is a male scorpion, so it obviously couldn't be a gravid female.

My Red Claw looks exactly like the one in this pic:

So yeah, just thought I'd share. I'll now remember that a Red Claw Scorpion was my first scorp ever...

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some pandinus imperators have a reddish tint too.
But I guess you do have a cavimanus since it's aggressive.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I just realized my scorpion was a Red Claw Scorpion (Pandinus Cavimanus). I've been thinking it was an Emperor Scorpion because the seller told me it was one. But I guess he lied.
if in fact you even have a rd claw, he probably made a mistake..its easy to do with Pandinus.sp

Some pandinus imperators have a reddish tint too.
But I guess you do have a cavimanus since it's aggressive.
all my emps are aggressive and have reddish tints to their claws..does that mean they are all red claws too?;)

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm...the cricket I put in last night is resting on top of my scorp's head! Awkward...

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brendan do you scorp allso have that inward claw? because my cavimanus got them.. and i have pretty good souces telling me that mine is a cavimanus, so if yours got the same like on the picture well then its a cavimanus..

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IME i have seen some P. imp that had a very reddish tint to there claws and i have seen some P. cavimanus that had very dark claws. Also, you cant really base what it is on defensive behavior because i have seen docile and defensive in both species. The best way to find out would be find someone who knows key marks of identification between the two, then you will know for sure. But claw color and defensiveness are not good to go by.
-Nate

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Emps and red claws are very hard to differentiate. The only reason I call mine a red claw is because the store sells both, and even with that I wouldn't put money on it. One thing I've noticed is that no matter the light, my red claw never has a blue tint like I've noticed on most emps.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brendan look at the picture you have posted, then look at mine, does your scorpion have the same inward going claw?

This is pictures of one of my scorps, and i have a really good source telling me this is a P.cavimanus, So Brendan if yours got the same, and not a half heart shaped claw, then yeah its a cavimanus, but please post some pictures, clear ones.. P.imperator and P.cavimanus doesnt have the same needs in mositure, P.cavimanus needs to go abit dryer then the imperator..

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, here are some pictures of my scorp. There are LOTS of pictures, so take your time to examine them. XD

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brendan look at the picture you have posted, then look at mine, does your scorpion have the same inward going claw?...
@Brendan- I defiantly can see the red hue to your scorp... wait... it's just the red light on it. can you post some pics not under the red light?

@K3jser- That is a male P cavimanus, the males have the 'dent' in the claws, females do not.

Excerpt from VenomList SOTM:VenomList Link to SOTM by 'Jeroenkooijman'

"Sexing
Sexing these scorpions is not really difficult. You can sex them the way P. Imperator is sexed, take a good look at the pectines. Small and relative wide pectines are female. Elongated and slender are males.
The genital operculum in males is oval shaped, while females have a more "heart"-shaped genital operculum (this difference in genital operculum is present in all Scorpionidae).

Also it's possible to sex them by looking at their chela. Males have a dent at the beginning of their movable finger (cavi=dent, manus=hand) on the chela. Males also have a pronounced tooth on the movable finger."

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought a good way to tell P. Imps and P. Cavimanus' apart was looking at the telson... Imps will have cream/brownish telsons while cav's will have black telsons.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My red claw's is more of a red color if I'm not mistaken. He's been in his burrow for mad long so I haven't seen it in a while.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brenden..
i think any kind of scorp looks like a redclaw under a red light.:D

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brenden..
i think any kind of scorp looks like a redclaw under a red light.:D
Please. I'm not stupid.

I just got the red light a few days ago.

I don't think my scorp is a Red Claw just because of the red light.

-.-

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please. I'm not stupid.

I just got the red light a few days ago.

I don't think my scorp is a Red Claw just because of the red light.

-.-
Well you are kinda daft for posting ID pics that are smeared in infrared lighting then asking for an ID of a scorpion where one of the few distinguishing characteristics is a red tint.

How about you post 2 or 3 decent pics, one of the head area, one of the chela straight on from ground view, one of the pectines on the bottom then you might get a good answer.

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Brendan- I defiantly can see the red hue to
Excerpt from VenomList SOTM:VenomList Link to SOTM by 'Jeroenkooijman'

"Sexing
Sexing these scorpions is not really difficult. You can sex them the way P. Imperator is sexed, take a good look at the pectines. Small and relative wide pectines are female. Elongated and slender are males.
The genital operculum in males is oval shaped, while females have a more "heart"-shaped genital operculum (this difference in genital operculum is present in all Scorpionidae).

Also it's possible to sex them by looking at their chela. Males have a dent at the beginning of their movable finger (cavi=dent, manus=hand) on the chela. Males also have a pronounced tooth on the movable finger."
;)

With just one look on that picture I can clearly say it's a male P. cavimanus.

Maybe the picture below is helpful, not really sharp though:

Last edited:

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay here are some more pics of my scorpion. Now you can clearly see that it's not the red light that makes me think the claws look red.

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a totally different scorpion then in the first post.

Clearly an emperor ;)

-Edit-
Missed that the first posted pictures where from some one else, sorry.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a totally different scorpion then in the first post.

Clearly an emperor ;)

-Edit-
Missed that the first posted pictures where from some one else, sorry.
You think its really an emperor?

Hmmm..........lets see what other people say as well. If it is an emperor, it is madly aggressive and there's no way I can even get close to handling it when it gets so pissed off when I just touch its claws. :(

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can even say I'm 100% sure it is an emp.

Not all emps are the same, you probably bought a more agressive one.
I have 50+ emps, some more agressive then the other, a few are not for handling.