itchy needs help

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
scorps can climb if they want, keep an eye on it. they will eventually learn that they can climb the silicon on the corners. u need a lid i still recommend plexiglass or if ur as lucky as i am, precut slabs of glass. i scored some from a good friend :cool:

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good friend?

and would ur good friend happen to live in vancouver, canada?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kazuki said:
i'm hunting for new lid today
You won't find a commercially produced lid that's worth a darn. Just get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the tank top and drill a few 3/16 holes for minor ventilation without humidity-loss. Use "binder-clips" to hold it securely down and prevent warp at the corners.

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah, i'd go with Carpe's plan. sorry buddy, he lives two blocks from me in Sactown ;P

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
right

u guys r right, so i bought some plexiglass preparing to cut out the lid. but something crossed my mind, if i make a lid over the thing, would it block the heat lamp's heat and it won't be as warm it should be? do i need to cute a whole wide enough for heat lamp? can i see what u guys did with ur lids?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kazuki said:
u guys r right, so i bought some plexiglass preparing to cut out the lid. but something crossed my mind, if i make a lid over the thing, would it block the heat lamp's heat and it won't be as warm it should be? do i need to cute a whole wide enough for heat lamp? can i see what u guys did with ur lids?
I don't use heat lamps, I use 15W flourescent lights 8 inches above the lids and two Zoomed reptitherm 8W heat pads attached to the sides of the tanks. The result is 78F(night w/light off)85F+(day) and 80%-85% humidity with 12 (3/16) holes in the lid. :) You will probably need a few more holes with the gravel system.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use a heat mat under my tanks. I would recommend that as opposed to a lamp, or heat strips.

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
moonlight lamp

my friend gave me one of those moonlight lamps that looks just like black light lamps.. provides a bit of heat looks pretty cool, and emps glow green too.

i want to use this at night, but is it good for my emps scorpions? i heard that if i use it for a long time, the scorpions will stop glowing, is that true?

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you use it too long you will KILL your scorpions.

Stop shining that light on them, it is very bad for them. Only in short bursts...

Really, only people working in the field, searching for specimens, REQUIRE a black light. I have one, and will show people who are new to scorps what happens ... in the space of 8 seconds! Nothing prolonged ...

Also, all species of Scorpion illuminate under a black light, not just emps.

Goodluck.

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good thing i never had a chance to use that light yet. so glad i checked with u guys first. btw, i just added the plexiglass lid. even b4 i finish putting the lid on, the humidity already went up 10%... holy, but i found a new problem, the heat lamp's heat is deforming my lid already!

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
use metal claps like they use in offices for stacks of papers, the black ones with silver handles. keep them on the lid right down against the plexi...someone must have a pic of this method somewhere?

i don't use heat, they are part of the house heating and AC and since i live in CA it tends to be on the warmer side. i've had scorps die from the heat, i need AC more :rolleyes:

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no clippers needed

it turns out, i don't need the clippers, i just need to press my plexiglass firmer onto the top of the tank and it slides in perfectly with the lid edge. it doesn't even bend up anymore. and thx to u guys' advices, now my tank keeps a 85-90% humidity, my scorps r a lot more active now too!

i drilled in 3 rows of 4 small holes for a total of 12 onto the plexiglass for ventilation. do u guys think i need more holes or 2 much? enough for ventilation?

Attachments

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kazuki said:
it turns out, i don't need the clippers, i just need to press my plexiglass firmer onto the top of the tank and it slides in perfectly with the lid edge. it doesn't even bend up anymore. and thx to u guys' advices, now my tank keeps a 85-90% humidity, my scorps r a lot more active now too!

i drilled in 3 rows of 4 small holes for a total of 12 onto the plexiglass for ventilation. do u guys think i need more holes or 2 much? enough for ventilation?
Nice job!, that looks real nice, and i'm glad to hear about the increase in activity. You may not need the binder-clips yet, but if there is any sort of light above the lid, it will eventually warp up at the corners.

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yup, i bought a bag of the same clips u showed me on the other thread, just incase. thx for ur help guys.