It finally happened

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If I want to block the light, I just let the room where I keep my T's in "penombra", and that system, strangely, work pretty well. Easy, old style. I do understand that there's people that loves that BG issue, no problem for me, but I assume I am still entitled to have an opinion on the subject, no?

And my opinion is: that's a not necessary at all thing. End of the story for me.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Shots fired in the great background wars of 2016...
I remember how it all began back in the day... One would have no part of this crazy background stuff while the other said something to the effect of "prying the wood background from their cold dead fingers"... We never recovered and life was never the same.....

Abyss

Arachnoknight
One day when we argue about this again, comments will be quoted from this thread hahaha

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
May as well weigh in :D

I've taken to just hot-gluing lumber from the hardware store to the back of the enclosure. I usually rough it up with a wire brush, as well. They seem to be pretty happy with it, although I can't say that I'd go through the trouble again. They usually still exclusively hang out on the cork round.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Rob has some really nice videos on how to make foam backgrounds that look great, allow your T to easily web and climb, and also help with humidity.

cold blood

Staff member
Lol im done with foam now lol
Never had a T chew it up till this P. met so she has changed my mind
Its so common and easy for ts to rip it up that I'm shocked so many people consider it, much less actually use it. I see foam in an enclosure and regular misting to be probably the two goofiest things many keepers do (my opinion). I mean, simple logic should tell you that if they can get through mesh made of metal and tear up wood, that foam will offer zero resistance...see the original post here.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Its so common and easy for ts to rip it up that I'm shocked so many people consider it, much less actually use it. I see foam in an enclosure and regular misting to be probably the two goofiest things many keepers do (my opinion). I mean, simple logic should tell you that if they can get through mesh made of metal and tear up wood, that foam will offer zero resistance...see the original post here.
Oh i agree fully, i hav ejust never had one bother with it till now haha. All mine seemed to not care but my P. met goes to work everynite on it lmao. Soon as this babys birthday party is over its rehousing time haha

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Geez @Thistles , you need to make one with the actual wood background so people stop using this damn foam.
Haha! You can kind of see a biggish slab of cork under the flash in the LV's enclosure. I've made some with a sort of patchwork of cork pieces with moss/peat/coco/other stuff in the cracks. Sometimes I just have one or two pieces of cork in there, and sometimes no cork at all. I like the look. For a long time my tarantulas were in my living room, so aesthetics mattered to me. When my collection was under 100, I spent a LOT of time making each enclosure different and as natural as possible, including live plants and interesting bits of decor. I had a bunch of dart frogs and their vivaria at the time, too, so it was sort of just what I did. Get critter, make fancy mini rainforest/desert/whatever. Now they still get backgrounds if they're in exos, and I still go for the natural look, but I've finally given up the expensive AMAC boxes and gone to delis. It's about time I yield to practicality. My heart wants to side with pretty, though...

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know, I just pretend that they think the background is like a tree to them that suddenly turns into a wall on three sides. :embarrassed:

@Chris LXXIX
Foam:
PicsArt_07-23-10.27.36.jpg

I personally use these:
Screenshot_20160723-222030~01.png
I just think they make the enclosure look prettier. I see it kinda like I see live plants, maybe. It can provide good anchor points and I don't see the closet wall in the other side. :astonished:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Overall, i use backgrounds as mostly pure asthetics that do provide some functinality in the form of anchor points.
I dont wanna show off my T or just gaze at them myself an be looking at my wall behind the enclosure.

The asthetics are almost 100% for my enjoyment but to me, thats the point.
Its kind of like how i feel about enclosures lol. I cant for the life of me understand why we will spend hundreads or thousands of dollars on T's but i see so many ppl that wont soend more then $10 for the home the T will live in.

I dont understand it because i get as much (if not more) enjoyment out of setting up an amazing enclosure to compliment my amazing T. The enclosures themselves are often more visible and in some cases the only thing we can see so i have no issue making them as nice as possible with amazing hides, backgrounds, branches, moss, vine, etc etc etc.

I do NOT go all out for slings an juvies but my adults all get great looking acrylics or exo's or whatever fancy enclosures i find at shows.

That said, even for slings an juvies i do make them as visually appealing as possible using plexiglass for viewing through the front where applicable.

Understand im not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to house an adult T in a giant sterilite box with vent holes cut in. I just get as much enjoyment from the enclosure so i cant wrap my head around it personally haha

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@bryverine

I imagined something like that, man :)

just that to me make no sense. As far as I know we never used that stuff here inside enclosures.

cold blood

Staff member
Overall, i use backgrounds as mostly pure asthetics that do provide some functinality in the form of anchor points.
I dont wanna show off my T or just gaze at them myself an be looking at my wall behind the enclosure.

The asthetics are almost 100% for my enjoyment but to me, thats the point.
Its kind of like how i feel about enclosures lol. I cant for the life of me understand why we will spend hundreads or thousands of dollars on T's but i see so many ppl that wont soend more then $10 for the home the T will live in.

I dont understand it because i get as much (if not more) enjoyment out of setting up an amazing enclosure to compliment my amazing T. The enclosures themselves are often more visible and in some cases the only thing we can see so i have no issue making them as nice as possible with amazing hides, backgrounds, branches, moss, vine, etc etc etc.

I do NOT go all out for slings an juvies but my adults all get great looking acrylics or exo's or whatever fancy enclosures i find at shows.

That said, even for slings an juvies i do make them as visually appealing as possible using plexiglass for viewing through the front where applicable.

Understand im not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to house an adult T in a giant sterilite box with vent holes cut in. I just get as much enjoyment from the enclosure so i cant wrap my head around it personally haha
I find the visibility issue with sterilite to be greatly exaggerated....I see mine just fine. There's no doubt in my mind that I can provide the best enclosure for the t by using sterilite...it provides the best options for perfectly ventilating.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I find the visibility issue with sterilite to be greatly exaggerated....I see mine just fine. There's no doubt in my mind that I can provide the best enclosure for the t by using sterilite...it provides the best options for perfectly ventilating.

Agree fully. They are a little opaque but not near as bad as ppl make out to be

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

That's a beautiful picture of a P. murinus!
:astonished:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Where? That's a P. cam and P. vitatta.;)
We all need to chip in and get you a new camera or phone with a better one. :D

How do you take such great photos of fish? BTW where are those fish photos from this weekend? I know you have some.