Isopods... What do I do?

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
So I've read a few accounts of how isopods may not be safe to keep with pedes as they may be dangerous after a molt. I decided to keep springtails instead as they seemed safer but somehow isopods seem to have found their way into my Dehaani enclosure anyways. At first there were only two and I removed them, but now there are more... Maybe 20?

Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I do a rehouse?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I think those people are referencing the larger species of isopod more. From my understanding, the dwarf species are fine.

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
I don't really know how big is too big, they look like standard grey woodlouse. I'd estimate the largest are between 0.375 and 0.5 inches (9.5-12.5mm) .

Last edited:

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
I don't really know how big is too big, they look like standard grey woodlouse. I'd estimate the largest are between 0.375 and 0.5 inches (9.5-12.5mm) .
I personally don't trust anything in the Porcellio genus. I'd remove all that you can see and let the centipede hopefully take care of the ones you can't find. They probably won't cause much trouble with such small numbers and a pede that moults underground. Just make sure to clean up dead prey items when you see them since that's what they eat (along with decaying wood).

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Porcellio can be bullies. The most trouble I have had was with dwarf whites. They multiply fast and ate all of my baby Narceus americanus for a year and a half.

Mariamatic

Arachnopeon
I have a couple woodlice in with my pedes and I've had larger ones molt with them in there no problem. One of my glossy black pink legs decided she wanted to curl up underneath the water dish to molt so every time I had to take it out to clean it I would see her under there through the molting process. The isopods also like to live under there because it's the most moist part of the tank usually and so they were basically in right next to her the whole time she was molting, and she's completely fine afterwards. If you have springtails, just try to grab the isopods out when you see them, but otherwise it might be okay depending on the species. I'm not sure how they are with pedelings or eggs though.