Isopods in terrariums/enclosures

Braeden

Arachnopeon
Hi there! So I just recently started looking into this hobby about a month ago, and I dived in allll the way. I'm talking staying up until 3am watching videos upon videos on tarantulas and scorpions. I have lots of other types of animals, rodents, dogs, a horse... you name it I've probably had it before, but I've never owned any arachnids. A little while ago my mom told me she'd be ok with me getting some (yay) but that meant I knew I needed to get everything and be prepared. I've had lots of animals in the past so I'm well aware being completely ready before purchasing is first priority. I'm going to a repticon in January so I'm hoping to know as much as possible and be prepared by then. But I had one main question I'm having a hard time finding answers to, isopods. I've had hermit crabs before and had quite a few issues with mites due to humidity, and I don't want that to happen with any new animals I get. I'm not so concerned with a tarantula as my plan is to get a B. Smithi which I won't keep humid enough for concern of mites, but my concern is rather if I get a scorpion. I would most likely end up with a emperor, and they need to be more humid out of the research I've done, so I began looking into isopods to safely house with them to help from mite infestations. I would also like to get millipedes in the near future so I have the same concern for them. If someone could shine some light on scorpions/millipedes and housing with isopods it would be very appreciated. Thanks! :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you keep isopods with your scorps and millipedes, you'll want to use micropods (dwarf purple or orange or whatever they call them now. Check with dart frog people at the show). They're small, slow, and timid, so they shouldn't harass your other inverts. A combination of isopods and springtails generally works best to keep mites and mold down. You'll want to be careful with isopods and millipedes because isopods occasionally disturb molting millipedes and I believe people have seen the isos munching on freshly molted pedes, though it's only with the larger iso species.

Last edited:

Braeden

Arachnopeon
Ahh that makes sense. Thank you a bunch! I'll be sure to talk to some people with experience in isos when I'm at the show.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Anything larger than micropods are prone to carnivory. I've heard of millipedes being eaten alive while molting and seen pictures of centipedes with too many missing limbs, and I saw firsthand a pair of Porcellio scaber eat a wounded cricket alive. While they are certainly effective cleaners, most isopods eat all of the scraps and then start on the other inhabitants of the tank. With millipedes, they may not be always able to dig up molting individuals, but will definitely eat eggs. Isopods also breed very fast and prolifically, so a few pairs will turn into 60 in a few months, creating even more hungry mouths.

I mainly use springtails as cleaners and have never had many mold or pest outbreaks with my inverts. They might not be as cute as isopods and a huge swarm of springtails is more than a little creepy, but they will certainly get the job done in large numbers without ever harming pets.

Braeden

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I assume that someone at repticon will have springtails so I'll look more into them, at some point I'd also like to start a bioactive terrarium for my crestie and I've read spring tails are safe for that as well so it sounds like they'd be the best investment. Once again thanks for the help guys