Isopods-High protein vs high plant fiber species

Joxer

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I'm trying to get some information as to which species of isopods require a higher protein intake. I'm trying to make information signs so people with say small reptiles and amphibians don't get the wrong type of clean up crew versus those with larger reptiles when selling at expos.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Porcellio sp. enjoy more protein than most, but I still trust them as a cleaner crew with vertebrates. Molting inverts are at risk with isopods, but a healthy reptile or amphibian could swiftly kick a frisky isopod off. As ravenous as my P. scaber are, they’re still choice nominees for a cleaner crew in my eyes. I left a mealworm pupa in their tub, assuming it would be eaten, but the beetle is still living in there! Most of the species that enjoy high plant fiber (Armadillidium) aren’t very good cleaners anyways, considering their job is to clean the waste of animals who typically consume a lot of protein.

In short, no isopod poses a risk to a vertebrate as a clean-up crew. Info-signs about their diets are an amazing idea though! I quite like that.

Joxer

Arachnopeon
Porcellio sp. enjoy more protein than most, but I still trust them as a cleaner crew with vertebrates. Molting inverts are at risk with isopods, but a healthy reptile or amphibian could swiftly kick a frisky isopod off. As ravenous as my P. scaber are, they’re still choice nominees for a cleaner crew in my eyes. I left a mealworm pupa in their tub, assuming it would be eaten, but the beetle is still living in there! Most of the species that enjoy high plant fiber (Armadillidium) aren’t very good cleaners anyways, considering their job is to clean the waste of animals who typically consume a lot of protein.

In short, no isopod poses a risk to a vertebrate as a clean-up crew. Info-signs about their diets are an amazing idea though! I quite like that.
What's your opinion on small amphibian enclosures. Some thumbnail dart frogs aren't much bigger than a decent-size scaber..

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
What's your opinion on small amphibian enclosures. Some thumbnail dart frogs aren't much bigger than a decent-size scaber..
Dwarf whites, maybe some Armadillidium for aesthetics. I’ll admit dart frogs aren’t my area of expertise, but isopod experience lends me to believe healthy frog would be far too lively and well, alive, to even warrant an attempt from a protein-hungry isopod. Though obviously, better safe than sorry in cases like this, so perhaps one of the different iso’s I mentioned fits your criteria. I’m only being such a Porcellio advocate because they and Porcellionides (who also enjoy a bit of animal matter) seem to make the best cleanup crews aside from dwarves. They’ll demolish waste in hours, occasionally days if we’re dealing with a larger animal like a modestly sized snake, while species who prefer more plant matter peck at such things more modestly.

Inverts4life1

Arachnosquire
With small frogs and dart frogs I would definitely go with either dwarf white, dwarf purples or the Porcellionides.....imo at least.....with these species also being soft bodied, the frogs will enjoy snacking on them as well.....the dwarf white will likely burrow and the dwarf purples will probably tend to stay more on the surface