Isopod keepers?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Any members here into isopods? Just dipping my toes in here, and wondering what the interest in these animals on the boards is. Screenshot_2019-09-01-23-37-48.png
Screenshot_2019-09-01-23-37-52.png
Went outside and found plenty of what I believe are T rathkii? But most weren't adult. So there's only perhaps 5 adults in the colony. Any ideas on how fast the colony will grow? Temps are 70-80 all the time.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Aquarimax, @SamanthaMarikian, @Elytra and Antenna, @All About Arthropods, @Hisserdude, @Marika, @mickiem, @moricollins, @u bada, @skippy666 (many more, will edit when I remember), and myself are all into isopods to varying degrees. Isopods are really starting to become popular; maybe we should start an Isopod Society/Club or something!

Your setup looks good! Lots of rotting leaves and wood are important for isopods, but you've already got that one covered, ha ha.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any members here into isopods? Just dipping my toes in here, and wondering what the interest in these animals on the boards is. View attachment 319409
View attachment 319410
Went outside and found plenty of what I believe are T rathkii? But most weren't adult. So there's only perhaps 5 adults in the colony. Any ideas on how fast the colony will grow? Temps are 70-80 all the time.
Isopods are one of my areas of focus. I keep approximately 30 types, though I have never kept. T. rathkii. The setup looks like they will thrive in it! The only caveat I would offer is that I recommend covering the ventilation holes with some fine-weave fabric, like chiffon, to discourage fungus gnats from making their way in at some point.
Welcome to the wonderful world of isopods!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Setup looks great, they should thrive in there! :) Just don't let them dry out, T.rathkii in particular is quite sensitive to that. Keep the leaf litter topped off, offer supplemental foods every few days, (dog/cat/chick feed, fruits and veggies, etc.), and you should be set!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Isopods are one of my areas of focus. I keep approximately 30 types, though I have never kept. T. rathkii. The setup looks like they will thrive in it! The only caveat I would offer is that I recommend covering the ventilation holes with some fine-weave fabric, like chiffon, to discourage fungus gnats from making their way in at some point.
Welcome to the wonderful world of isopods!
Fungus gnats are the worst. They got into my colonies :-(.
Repashy bug burger seems to be well loved by my colonies :)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Any members here into isopods? Just dipping my toes in here, and wondering what the interest in these animals on the boards is. View attachment 319409
View attachment 319410
I've got 9 species right now (8 of them doing well), one from the backyard (P spinicornis) and the others all purchased.

They breed surprisingly quickly, and some species (like P scaber) are great for disposing of protein items leftover from your other critters (dead crickets and superworms, etc.) and 'fridge (most of mine LOVE little pieces of sweet potato).

Mine also get leftover/uneaten crested gecko diet from my geckos.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've got 9 species right now (8 of them doing well), one from the backyard (P spinicornis) and the others all purchased.

They breed surprisingly quickly, and some species (like P scaber) are great for disposing of protein items leftover from your other critters (dead crickets and superworms, etc.) and 'fridge (most of mine LOVE little pieces of sweet potato).

Mine also get leftover/uneaten crested gecko diet from my geckos.
Would you be comfortable using then in spider cages? I've seen them tackle live mealworms with gusto and I imagine a defenseless soft spider would be easy food

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Would you be comfortable using then in spider cages? I've seen them tackle live mealworms with gusto and I imagine a defenseless soft spider would be easy food
I wouldn't put them in with a spider. If the numbers get out of control and certain species get hungry they will munch on your T if its molting, and some are quite protein hungry.

Tom Moran talked about this in a podcast with his scorpions. Found some corpses with a "safe" species.

You *can* use isopods though as food, especially for small slings. I think this is a widely under-rated use of isopods. Maybe not every meal forever as I've never seen the nutritional breakdown of isopods, but for very small slings its an option for sure, and setting up a breeding colony is easier than arguably ANY other potential feeder. They can't climb glass or acrylic, or fly away like some other feeders.

Fed a small dalmatian P scaber today to my microscopic black widow sling, and it happily took it.

My bearded dragon will munch them down as well.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I'll add too, I have mine set up more like watchable aquariums -- in clear exo terra breeding boxes, so I can watch them more easily than in a bin.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Setup looks great, they should thrive in there! :) Just don't let them dry out, T.rathkii in particular is quite sensitive to that. Keep the leaf litter topped off, offer supplemental foods every few days, (dog/cat/chick feed, fruits and veggies, etc.), and you should be set!
Thats actually really helpful. I assumed these were a little more moisture sensitive, but I didn't know for sure. I'll stay on that. :)

Do you know what temperatures these guys do best at? My room varies alot depending on the season. From 65-85 or so. Generally mid 70s however.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thats actually really helpful. I assumed these were a little more moisture sensitive, but I didn't know for sure. I'll stay on that. :)

Do you know what temperatures these guys do best at? My room varies alot depending on the season. From 65-85 or so. Generally mid 70s however.
I'd keep them from getting too warm, 75F° should be the maximum temperature.

TreeTops1015

Arachnopeon
What in the world are isopods used for?I'm new to this so I dont see why isopods are needed

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@TreeTops1015, many species are small, but there are some that get larger than small crickets or around that size, and make excellent food for small slings. And smaller species are often very prolific, meaning what they lack in size, they make up for in numbers.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
@TreeTops1015, many species are small, but there are some that get larger than small crickets or around that size, and make excellent food for small slings. And smaller species are often very prolific, meaning what they lack in size, they make up for in numbers.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
They're also almost a vital food source for some vampire crabs and they are also a good calcium-rich food for dart frogs. Awesome blog, by the way.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’ve got about 7 species of isopods and the sp. laval(not sure the first part of the species name bc they aren’t in front of me) are breeding faster than anything I’ve ever seen and they are the protein eaters....
I use them for feeders, my 2” centipede loves them.

All the species I have love cucumbers

u bada

Arachnopeon
From my experience from errors of my first go around with iso's, worth emphasizing that when kept as colonies they really do need to be mindfully fed. I was under the impression that they can be neglected like T's for weeks if too busy, but for a colony to really be happy and keep breeding, not start eating themselves and babies, providing plenty of dead leaves, rich soil, wood, all that is vitally important... and additionally, cuttlebone/ eggshells/ or anything with chitin (I give dried shrimp), really really make a difference... Rapashy wood or bug burger, veggies, all sorts of different things on a weekly basis really do something too.

When kept with reptiles they seem to be self sufficient on other hand, probably because reptiles poop and peep so much lol, not sure...