Isopod culture... Now what?

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
So I bought an isopod culture today but I forgot to ask how I was supposed to introduce it. Am I supposed to keep it for a bit until populations get higher or filter through the media to pull out the existing ones or just stick the whole thing in the tank with the top open and let them chill? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
So I bought an isopod culture today but I forgot to ask how I was supposed to introduce it. Am I supposed to keep it for a bit until populations get higher or filter through the media to pull out the existing ones or just stick the whole thing in the tank with the top open and let them chill? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Likely depends on 1) the species of isopod, 2) the number of isopods you bought, 3) the critter (reptile? spider? centipede?) you are introducing the isopods to, and 4) the size of the enclosure currently in and 5) the size of the enclosure you wish to introduce it to.....

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Baby woodlice are very tiny, so add the substrate to make sure you add all of them. Whether you add them now or let the numbers build depends on the other tank residents. If they'll eat the woodlice, build up numbers first.

Don't just stick the container in the enclosure with the lid off... they can't climb plastic or glass, so they won't be able to climb out. Tip them out into their new home.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
Likely depends on 1) the species of isopod, 2) the number of isopods you bought, 3) the critter (reptile? spider? centipede?) you are introducing the isopods to, and 4) the size of the enclosure currently in and 5) the size of the enclosure you wish to introduce it to.....
It didn't say the species name or the amount of isopods in it. It looks like its in a 4 in. deli cup and I'm putting it in a 10 gallon tank with an asian forest scorpion.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
It didn't say the species name or the amount of isopods in it. It looks like its in a 4 in. deli cup and I'm putting it in a 10 gallon tank with an asian forest scorpion.
If its a dwarf isopod you're likely okay. But if its a P scaber or another protein hungry isopod you likely don't want to put them in that enclosure. They may decide to snack on the scorp.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
If its a dwarf isopod you're likely okay. But if its a P scaber or another protein hungry isopod you likely don't want to put them in that enclosure. They may decide to snack on the scorp.
They are very small and white (about grain of rice sized) so I don't think it's that. I told the guy at the shop what I had and he recommended the isopods over springtails so he shouldn't have told me to get something that would kill my critter. I'll wait until my scorp is a little more active before introducing them though just in case.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
told the guy at the shop what I had and he recommended the isopods over springtails so he shouldn't have told me to get something that would kill my critter.
They don't have a clue in most pet shops and the isopods are probably a bit more expensive than springtails that will be the reason he has advised these. They sound like Trichorhina tormentors though so you should be fine but don't listen to pet stores