Isometrus Communal breeding project questions?

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so ive had a 1.2 communal set up of Isometrus maculatus together for about a year now, and they have finally become mature and began breeding. I just looked in today to find that BOTH females have babies on board. Now, just as a preface, this is not my first time breeding these guys, these are babies ive raised from two previous females i had. The last time i bred this species i did NOT have them communal, so now i have some questions.

1. Do i separate the male from the females? why?
2. Should i separate all three of them into their own enclosures? why/whynot
3. (If the answer to the first two questions says keep them together) when the babies come off the moms back is there a chance im going to have cannibalism while they run free in the tank?

All answers are highly appreciated! thanks for looking! pics soon ;)

maurus

Arachnopeon
Separate the females. The female can be very agressive when prgnant. DOn't let the babies run free in the tank. No dont put them all in seperate containers, the old tank has nothing to do with it. Put the females in a decent sized container and when the babies come off put them all back together if the communal is working for you.

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Always separate the male from the female.

I would mess with the mothers if they have babies on their backs, because it will stress them out, and then you'll end up losing babies.

Young being with adults you will end up having cannibalism, this is really dependent on how well they are fed and when they molt, but it's not worth the risk.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Females tend to get very defensive with broods. It is my opinion that they should all be separated to avoid a number of problems.

1. Damage to male from aggro females
2. Damage to females from possible fighting
3. Possible loss of scorplings to stressed mothers eating them
4. Easy capture and separation of 2nd instars when they leave mothers back
5. possible loss of moulting instars to cannibalism

That is not to say they will do any of the above, but a bit of caution never hurt anyone.

Again that's just my opinion on the matter.

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Separate the females. The female can be very agressive when prgnant. DOn't let the babies run free in the tank. No dont put them all in seperate containers, the old tank has nothing to do with it. Put the females in a decent sized container and when the babies come off put them all back together if the communal is working for you.
He needs to leave the females alone actually, being they have babies on their backs already. They should of been separated prior to giving birth.

The best solution honestly is to separate the male, then if you have a lowes or home depot, get a measurement of the tank and get a plexi glass or acrylic divider as this can be used to split the enclosure in half so you don't have to pick up any of the females.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Perhaps you could move the male, and use a divider to separate the enclosure into two smaller enclosures for the females.

EDIT: Looks like Neal beat me to the punch there...

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm very glad you are breeding these!When the babies are ready to be sold(if you're going to sell some) please let me know!I've always wanted a couple of these!