ISO reasonable-cost display enclosure

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon

Justin H

Arachnosquire
For a budget option, check if you have a container store near you and when you find something you like just drill vent holes in it. They have all sorts of display containers. I've also had luck at the dollar store, hobby shops, and random grocery stores. Most of the enclosures you see online are just repurposed plastic display cases-- if you see something you like, you can just copy it.

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon
For a budget option, check if you have a container store near you and when you find something you like just drill vent holes in it. They have all sorts of display containers. I've also had luck at the dollar store, hobby shops, and random grocery stores. Most of the enclosures you see online are just repurposed plastic display cases-- if you see something you like, you can just copy it.
Would then have to borrow a drill, but you’re right that DIY may be a good way to go.

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Would then have to borrow a drill, but you’re right that DIY may be a good way to go.
You can also heat up a very small nail or needle over a flame using a pair of pliers and poke holes that way, but it's a lot less reliable and easy to burn the holes too big.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Either of the enclosures you've linked would be fine. It all comes down to what you personally prefer for an enclosure. As long as it's set up correctly for the tarantula, that's all that matters.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
just got my first T, a very pretty adult a. Chalcodes, and really want a good enclosure to show her off. I’ve been looking at this enclosure https://jamiestarantulas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=20220/ and this one http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_mini.php. (The mini wide, not tall). Are they good choices? Also, are there any other similar enclosures that aren’t ss expensive? Or maybe good places to get used ones?
How big is your T? Because I think both of these options aren't ideal. IMO the one from Jamie's Tarantulas is too small and the Exo Terra is not only very expensive but also not suitable for a terrestrial species that even might like to burrow. You can't fill it up with enough substrate to make it safe for your T.

I'd stick with the ideas others have mentioned before. A cheap plastic container, you just need a soldering iron to make the holes. Just make sure there's enough substrate and not too much height between the substrate and the top (not more than 1,5x DLS of your spider). Then you need just dry substrate, a hide (preferably cork bark) and a water dish and you're golden! :)

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon
How big is your T? Because I think both of these options aren't ideal. IMO the one from Jamie's Tarantulas is too small and the Exo Terra is not only very expensive but also not suitable for a terrestrial species that even might like to burrow. You can't fill it up with enough substrate to make it safe for your T.

I'd stick with the ideas others have mentioned before. A cheap plastic container, you just need a soldering iron to make the holes. Just make sure there's enough substrate and not too much height between the substrate and the top (not more than 1,5x DLS of your spider). Then you need just dry substrate, a hide (preferably cork bark) and a water dish and you're golden! :)
She’s an adult, a bit bigger than the palm of my hand. Those are some valuable tips! Thanks!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I don't know how large your hands are, a more precise measurement in inch or cm would be more helpful. ;)

Having said that, this one looks quite small as well. Afaik an adult female A. chalcodes can reach 5-6", so you're looking for an enclosure from about 10x15" to 12x18" ground space (bigger is always a possibility). The height of the enclosure isn't that important as long as you fill it up with enough substrate to make it safe for your spider. But it's always nice to have at least 1x DLS of your spider for the substrate. The enclosure you linked is only 5" high, so definitely not enough. ;)

Can you post a picture of your T and one of her current enclosure?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Just get a large size kritter keeper. That's what my adult female A. chalcodes so. "New River" has been in for over 5 years without issue. They're cost effective and plenty good for display. In fact All of my T's are in the kritter keepers, with exception of the arboreals.

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon
I don't know how large your hands are, a more precise measurement in inch or cm would be more helpful. ;)

Having said that, this one looks quite small as well. Afaik an adult female A. chalcodes can reach 5-6", so you're looking for an enclosure from about 10x15" to 12x18" ground space (bigger is always a possibility). The height of the enclosure isn't that important as long as you fill it up with enough substrate to make it safe for your spider. But it's always nice to have at least 1x DLS of your spider for the substrate. The enclosure you linked is only 5" high, so definitely not enough. ;)

Can you post a picture of your T and one of her current enclosure?
I don’t have a ruler or anything around, but here is a picture of Sif and her (hopefully very temporary, especially since there is very little substrate and it’s rather small, so I know it’s not good as a permanent home) enclosure.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
just got my first T, a very pretty adult a. Chalcodes, and really want a good enclosure to show her off. I’ve been looking at this enclosure https://jamiestarantulas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=20220/ and this one http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_mini.php. (The mini wide, not tall). Are they good choices? Also, are there any other similar enclosures that aren’t ss expensive? Or maybe good places to get used ones?
That mini wide is useless compared to Jamie's. You could however get a more vertical ExoTerra and mount it on its side, and use it as a terrestrial setup with some MINOR modding.