Ischnothele caudata

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the shots, wormwood. Those guys are tiny! I'll have to start keeping a closer eye on my group then...wouldn't want someone to mature without me knowing! Did you notice any behavioral differences when it matured?

wormwood____

Arachnopeon
i bought 4 females and am waiting for the weather to get right so they can be shipped to me
so far i've noticed nothing different about this guy...since i tore his web down, he remade it in a night, and he's in a like 4" vial, he webs all the way to the top. Im sure he's made a sperm web but you can't really see it at this size especially when the sperm web is already in a mass of webbing itself..i thought he was going to tear down the webbing and start walking around the vial "searching" for a female, but he still sits at the top of the web all day long doing nothing

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i bought 4 females and am waiting for the weather to get right so they can be shipped to me
so far i've noticed nothing different about this guy...since i tore his web down, he remade it in a night, and he's in a like 4" vial, he webs all the way to the top. Im sure he's made a sperm web but you can't really see it at this size especially when the sperm web is already in a mass of webbing itself..i thought he was going to tear down the webbing and start walking around the vial "searching" for a female, but he still sits at the top of the web all day long doing nothing
Well, I guess that just gives me more excuse to keep watching these little guys then :)

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
I've been meaning to get back to this. I've gathered many notes about these and hope to but a article together about them when I have time. In short, despite hearing of success from some others keeping them communal, I found they do eventually eat each other. Once the spiderlings reached about a half inch, they started to turn on each other. The mothers that hatched them and once took care of them, starting eating them too. ( females would eventually eat mature males if left in with them as well) Although some lived together for a few months with out a problem, I think it was more to do with extensive hiding places I provided for them. They probably just never bummed into each other. So if anybody keeps them communally for a long enough, expect losses.

I'm also finding that they are a short lived spider, 1-1.5 years, even for the females. Although I've only raised a handful to adult females, it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that they are dying around the 1-1.5 year mark. I'd like to hear from anyone if they have had them live longer though. I always say, things that move fast, grow fast, breed fast, hatch fast, tend to die fast, and that seems to be the case.

Here's one of the mothers eating her own offspring that was being raised communally with her. They are great moms, until a certain point.

Later, Tom
Hi Tom,

I acquired my Ischnothele caudata on March 28, 2014 (from Ken the Bug Guy). She was probably about 4-6 months old if I had take a guess? I am over the one year mark but will be keeping an eye on her based on your findings of life expectancy. She just ate yesterday and looks very healthy still. I will keep you posted.

HLD

wormwood____

Arachnopeon
so i've paired 2 of my 4 females i recently bought form Michael Jacobi, and one laid a sac like 4 days after being paired. or maybe it was more than that, but she laid the actual sac a few days ago
well, all that is somewhat irrelevant for these first few pictures

this was the biggest female i got out of the 4. It was the "proven breeder" and it was a bit larger than the rest. I was actually quite surprised how large it was, it has atleast a 1.5" leg span when fully stretched. ....maybe
k, the more i look at the tape, 1.5 is quite a stretch..oops lol
20150421_151738[1].jpg
20150421_151753[1].jpg
20150421_151844[1].jpg
20150421_151926[1].jpg
20150421_152017[1].jpg

wormwood____

Arachnopeon
mature male. putting the females in temporary vials really made the...retrieval process, if you will, alot easier
20150425_191245[1].jpg
20150425_191313[1].jpg
20150425_191435[1].jpg
20150425_191539[1].jpg
and then her laying the eggs. some of these pics are the same, im really sorry i couldn't figure out which ones to delete :( sorry
20150507_234043[1].jpg

wormwood____

Arachnopeon
once again really sorry for all these pics, i don't want to clutter up the thread or anything
20150507_234052[1].jpg
20150507_234925[1].jpg
20150507_234932[1].jpg
eggsac with webs in the way, completely untouched
20150508_234929[1].jpg
20150508_234956[1].jpg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow, that's a LOT of webbing for such a tiny spider! Love the long spinnerets on these guys, great pics!

wormwood____

Arachnopeon
getting videos of every pairing between my males and females....Interestingly, the females are completely unresponsive to the 2nd pairing which i thought was really weird. N E WAYS, Here is the 2nd pairing (it's good i promise)
Idk how to "properly" enter the video in here/link it whatever....sooo ya

https://youtu.be/BzacLQz4Gs8

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
getting videos of every pairing between my males and females....Interestingly, the females are completely unresponsive to the 2nd pairing which i thought was really weird. N E WAYS, Here is the 2nd pairing (it's good i promise)
Idk how to "properly" enter the video in here/link it whatever....sooo ya

https://youtu.be/BzacLQz4Gs8
Need anymore mature males? I have one that matured April 2nd.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I'm going to resurrect an old thread by saying .... I got a colony of these .... I was curious what everyone's enclosure looks like ... what do ya'll use for air holes ? I would think they would get out air holes ?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not sure how accurate this is but I have heard numerous reports that these usually end up eating each other as they grow older

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I am not sure how accurate this is but I have heard numerous reports that these usually end up eating each other as they grow older
I'm pretty sure I started that rumor lol. See the previous page of this thread for a pic of cannibalism ;) They question should be, how did the rumor that they can be kept together start ?

Later, Tom