Is this worm related to my cat?

elielielieli

Arachnopeon
Hi. I saw this worm climbing my leg just as soon as I touched my little kitten. Is it related to my cat or is it a coincidence? It is about 5 mm long and 0,5 mm in diameter.

Attachments

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I think it's a nymph of a carpet beetle. They aren't very mobile, but they can cling to near anything. If you live in a carpeted apartment, or have a massive couch like I do, you'll have those, and a few other small worm like items around early spring.

The nymph is "related" to your cat in the way that your cat had touching "relations" with your sofa or carpet, then you had touching "relations" with your cat using your leg, and this likely just transferred the bitty thing to you.

This wasn't meant to sound so perverted, but it's how I took "relation". :zombie:

Last edited:

elielielieli

Arachnopeon
I think it's a nymph of a carpet beetle. They aren't very mobile, but they can cling to near anything. If you live in a carpeted apartment, or have a massive couch like I do, you'll have those, and a few other small worm like items around early spring.

The nymph is "related" to your cat in the way that your cat had touching "relations" with your sofa or carpet, then you had touching "relations" with your cat using your leg, and this likely just transferred the bitty thing to you.

This wasn't meant to sound so perverted, but it's how I took "relation". :zombie:
Thank you very much for the help! :)

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I disagree. Carpet beetle larva usually look something like this.

The OP's pictures look like a lepidoptera larva. Some moth or butterfly. Still harmless though.
Well now I think it looks like a lepidoptera larva!
Those stripes on the OPs pics are very 'pillary. Has the same tenacity, so still a hitchhiker of some sort!

@ OP: did you keep it? Raise it out for fun?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, well, better an hairy worm than a male French Bouledogue trying to "F-Word" your legs, like ours loved to do poor baby. A fart champion, also.

R.I.P sweety :-/

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Hi. I saw this worm climbing my leg just as soon as I touched my little kitten. Is it related to my cat or is it a coincidence? It is about 5 mm long and 0,5 mm in diameter.
Yeah, it's a caterpillar, not carpet beetle larva. Has absolutely nothing to do with your cat at all. :)