Is this Tank to big? 2.5 gallon for a GBB

Inception85

Arachnopeon
I feel the picture makes the tank look big but its 2.5 gallons. Could it fall and hurt himself? Just set it up... 20200303_204708.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Wrong set-up, they're not an arboreal species so you should redo the enclosure by turning it to the side as a terrestrial enclosure.

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Take the T out, flip the the enclosure onto its back with the door facing up. Refill with sub and decor, water dish. Then reintroduce T and you'll be all good!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Wrong set-up, they're not an arboreal species so you should redo the enclosure by turning it to the side as a terrestrial enclosure.
Take the T out, flip the the enclosure onto its back with the door facing up. Refill with sub and decor, water dish. Then reintroduce T and you'll be all good!
This!

And use bone-dry substrate! Your substrate is way too wet.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
HOLY CRAP!!! That is an accident waiting to happen. I’m not trying to rag on you, I was just shocked when I saw that T all the way up there. Make the changes described above and your good to go. Also get some more anchor points for it to web up. 👍🏻

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
HOLY CRAP!!! That is an accident waiting to happen. I’m not trying to rag on you, I was just shocked when I saw that T all the way up there. Make the changes described above and your good to go. Also get some more anchor points for it to web up. 👍🏻
Haha, your profile pic and that reaction are just perfect! :rofl: But I second this, those terra dimensions should be the other way around, even if that GBB thinks its arboreal... likely because of the wet substrate.

Inception85

Arachnopeon
Way too big and wet brother. :lurking:

TWSS.
thanks, I'm Going to flip the tank. Question: I wet the fiber as I don't like the dust when building it... It should be fine to let it dry inside the tank with the spider over time right?

This!

And use bone-dry substrate! Your substrate is way too wet.
thanks, I'm Going to flip the tank. Question: I wet the fiber as I don't like the dust when building it... It should be fine to let it dry inside the tank with the spider over time right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I mean yea, but make sure it's not too wet. This species likes it dry.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you get some dry substrate like soil from a garden or horticulair stote, use that instead

Inception85

Arachnopeon
Can you get some dry substrate like soil from a garden or horticulair stote, use that instead
Of course but i think it would be ok to just let it dry out. I mean its got to rain where they live naturally sometimes right?

Geez, I wounder how they ever survived in the wild?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If you have the option to replace that drenched substrate with dry substrate why not do it? Why wait (and it could take quite some time to dry up) and risk further health issues if you could fix it right now?

Inception85

Arachnopeon
If you have the option to replace that drenched substrate with dry substrate why not do it? Why wait (and it could take quite some time to dry up) and risk further health issues if you could fix it right now?
I have put a layer of dry substrate over the wet after flipping it on its side. (i mixed with sand and it really was not that damp) The reason I ask is this is the place to do it and learn. If I don't ask I risk not learning about it. I'm relatively new to the hobby and this was my ultimate goal here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have put a layer of dry substrate over the wet after flipping it on its side. (i mixed with sand and it really was not that damp) The reason I ask is this is the place to do it and learn. If I don't ask I risk not learning about it. I'm relatively new to the hobby and this was my ultimate goal here.

always good to ask questions about our little friends, always good to read about them too. They live in very xeric conditions. This could have been found by searching the forum via google. arboreal setups, not good for these.

Inception85

Arachnopeon
always good to ask questions about our little friends, always good to read about them too. They live in very xeric conditions. This could have been found by searching the forum via google. arboreal setups, not good for these.
Google, never heard of it.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
If you're going to reuse/dry out that substrate, which is something i would totally do (but I have a lot of dry sub and empty tubs laying around so its not a huge problem) its going to take several days if not weeks. The tarantula is going to be very unhappy in there, might not eat, might develop something that impacts its health, quicker than you think. So I would put the spider in a temporary enclosure while that one dries. Quite a bit smaller is ok as long as its not in there more than say a month. I use snack containers that are like 5x5x8" for most of my juveniles, maybe you have something like that laying around and a drill to make some air holes that double as web anchor points? Put sub, water dish, and a hide in there, but its an easy fast solution.
But really, if you can afford it, why not just buy some new sub?

Inception85

Arachnopeon
If you're going to reuse/dry out that substrate, which is something i would totally do (but I have a lot of dry sub and empty tubs laying around so its not a huge problem) its going to take several days if not weeks. The tarantula is going to be very unhappy in there, might not eat, might develop something that impacts its health, quicker than you think. So I would put the spider in a temporary enclosure while that one dries. Quite a bit smaller is ok as long as its not in there more than say a month. I use snack containers that are like 5x5x8" for most of my juveniles, maybe you have something like that laying around and a drill to make some air holes that double as web anchor points? Put sub, water dish, and a hide in there, but its an easy fast solution.
But really, if you can afford it, why not just buy some new sub?
I think the picture is deceiving, maybe because I mixed it with sand. But its dry to the touch already. I really just didn't want to move him again not a substrate purchasing issue. Little guy is fast lol. He has webbed up his hide and seems happy.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
If you worry a bit about dust settling on the glass etc while building just brush it off with a paintbrush. You really do not want to introduce mold.

Also, if this was meant for an arboreal spider, those branches do not look like they may be anchored down enough for the spiders weight. If it was on the end of it, would they tip? (Not sure how well they are in the substrate just looks precarious).

Once you have ti set up for this spider, make sure you follow up with pics! It is a great looking T, one of my faves.

Inception85

Arachnopeon
If you worry a bit about dust settling on the glass etc while building just brush it off with a paintbrush. You really do not want to introduce mold.

Also, if this was meant for an arboreal spider, those branches do not look like they may be anchored down enough for the spiders weight. If it was on the end of it, would they tip? (Not sure how well they are in the substrate just looks precarious).

Once you have ti set up for this spider, make sure you follow up with pics! It is a great looking T, one of my faves.
Yea the sticks go all the way down. Picture is hard to tell but the sub is slanted up at the back and double height from the front. All the advise i've got is great and appreciated. Just got the little guy and i think the T fever has hit me lol. I'll update soon with a new pic.