Is this setup ok?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do have it piled higher in the back, I may add more, but I'm waiting for this stuff to totally dry out.If I add just a bit of moist stuff, up the wall she goes!
She stayed in one spot untill the afternoon, then went crawling all over the walls again, but this time she eventually came to rest under her half-log.
She webbed some under there, then settled down.
Hope she gets used to it once the moisture has evaporated.

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have never been very keen of using pure barkchips, i think it is too unstable for groundliving T:s Mostly i use a mixture of peat and barkchips, or just peat. But i very much like the apperence of a mix of peat and barkchips! I think it looks nice and i think it gives a bit of structure for digging. But as i mentioned, i never use only barkchips. CHEERS!!!///Johan

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I just put a little bit of the bark chips around the water dish, to try and keep her from tracking eco-earth into the water. She seems to have calmed down now, and is even back to using her hide spot again. Only 25% of the floor area has the bark chips, so if she has to molt, she at least has a choice.

I think the eco-earth must be totally dry by now, since she will now crawl all the way under the hiding log, before she would just sit halfway in.

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I would worry about a potential fall that would seriously injure or kill one of them.

Last edited:

skreem61

Arachnopeon
I'm the one to go against the grain. I'm using bark in my Lasiodora parahybana's tank and he seems to love it. He's molting right now and hasn't had any problems. Hardly ever climbs the walls. I use the eco earth, with some aqaurium gravel (for weight mostly), in my Rose Hair's cage, and he's put quite a bit of web down and climbs the wall once in a while. I think either substrate would be suitable, but I think it depends on the spider that you have. They're all individuals and like different textures.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She came from a cage that had 100% bark chips, so that's what I put in there first. She was ok with it. Then I was worried about fall damage, and moult injuries, so I removed most of the bark chips, covered the rest with "eco-earth" and banked it up against the cage sides. Few days later she stopped climbing the walls when it was finally dry enough for her.

Now that she's well settled in and being a "pet rock in the hole". (BTW: her new nickname is "Heidi Rose") {D I don't worry about her falling (well I still do-but not as much). I tried to keep the substrate against the sides, but she like to do her own "landscaping" and has dug a rather deep crater behind her hiding log. I think it's her attempt at a partial burrow. If I fill some of it in, she will often have dug it up again by the next day. ;P

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had my Rosa for about a year or so now, I have the bed-a-beast for her floor as well as the other two I have, she don't seem to be bothered by it. She didn't like it when I first put her in there since it was still damp, once it was dry she made herself right at home. I've never had any probs with mites or bugs of any kind except once I had some pin heads hatch in there it didn't take long to get rid of them though. It's also easy to clean, I just scrape the top layer off every few months or so when it looks like it's needs it, this does not make her very happy though and she will have the whole place webbed back over in a couple days other then that I guess she is a happy T as are my other two, Avic Avic (just got a new house) and a A. seemani (pet hole)
I have found the best for everyone is to leave them alone, I'm sure they don't like to be bothered very much and I have found the more I try and make them 'comfy' the worse I make it. :)

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it looks perfectly fine to me i dont see why u should worry...:) ...congrats!!