Is this setup ok?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got a G.rosea a few days ago, right now I have fir bark in there as a substrate, no misting, and a small water dish.

The bark is not splintery at all, rather spongey, nearly cork-like. The T is hiding under the half-log at the moment (all I can see is a few legs now).
It does come out later in the night.

I also have that "eco-earth' stuff, but not really shure about using it.
My biggest concern is when the T goes to moult, the stuff doesn't look pokey/sharp/splintery, but I would like some advice on this.

Pic of setup:

Attachments

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Change to the eco-earth and you might want to raise the level of the substrate some.

Other than that, you're fine.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
Change to the eco-earth and you might want to raise the level of the substrate some.

Other than that, you're fine.
What becca81 said. :) I use Eco-Earth with all of my Ts, and have never had any problems.

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For Sure! Lose the bark. Otherwise you have the necessities all taken care of. Good luck and welcome to the board! :D

ScorpZion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i concurr

eco earth is great you can get four bricks that expand to like a 4 gallon bucket for like 5 bucks, looks good other than the substrate

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree witgh everyone else on this one. Just to add one thing though, once you use the eco earth your T might climb for awhile until it dries out or he gets use to it. So do'nt worry if he starts doing this and good luck with your T.

Jekka25

Arachnopeon
looking good!

I think your set-up is great. The bark comes to be a bigger pain in the rear than anything, but a question to ask is "does my spider like it"? I read that tarantulas have a way of letting you know if they're comfy, well, a few ways. One thing you can count on in the beginning of a new enclosure is some wall-climbing until he/she gets used to the new surroundings. I've noticed some lay a lot of web on the ground if they don't like the substrate you chose. I have a few large and elder T's who still do this nomatter what, so it may be a matter of utmost preference altogether. I have had a few rosies and they seem to enjoy a good climb from time to time regardless (especially when I am seen moving the lid!!! they're smart!). I use the bricks of substrate as well, from peat moss to jungle-stuff made for terrrariums. Be savvy when shopping, I've seen the same bricks of special dirt at nursery's for a third the cost at a pet store. Happy Spidering!
Jessica

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so I've got the eco-earth, but now I face another problem...
My town is under a "boil water" situation from all the runoff and a broken sewer pipe!. Do I have to boil a few gallons of water now? Or will it be ok once all the moisture evaporates?

The spider actually seems to like the substrate, it only climbed the cage when I had a flashlight bulb on the screen top, (it was trying to "sun" itself even though it was already quite warm in my room).Was actually putting it's legs out towards the bulb!

I had thought of mixing eco-earth with the bark to make a softer surface or putting the eco-earth on top of the bark (but if it begins to dig? then what)
Again, the main concern is not so much the daily crawling over the bark, but the possible risk of moulting over it, I know they are supposed to lay down webbing before a moult, or if the substrate is bothering them. So far not a trace of web!

--here she is in her "cave"

Attachments

Last edited:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SPIDERBYTE My town is under a "boil water" situation from all the runoff and a broken sewer pipe!. Do I have to boil a few gallons of water now? Or will it be ok once all the moisture evaporates? (but if it begins to dig? then what) [/QUOTE said:
I would boil the water just to make sure there is not any nasties in there and G.rosea's are not known for burrowing as far as i know.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just replaced the substrate with the eco-earth stuff, and while it seems almost completely dry, my rosea is hanging from the walls! I'm worried about her!

She seemed to like the reptile bark I had in there before, but I was afraid of molting problems, and falling onto the bark (she slips on the glass walls,especially after being fed)

Should I give it a few days and see what she does?
this is what she's doing:

Attachments

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She'll eventually calm down.

You need to make the substrate higher so that if she does fall it won't be such an issue.

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have moved almost completely away from peat and soil. I use almost exlusively eco earth, bed a beast or in other words ground up coconut husks. I still can have mites with this but at a minimum. Usually they show up around the water dish only. When I discover this I usually remove the substrate and microwave it until pretty warm enough to kill pretty much any living thing. Should not take long and put it in something that the steam cannot escape from or you will have some unhappy people that live in your house. Stinks bad and stays a while. I am also looking into testing the groung up walnut hulls that is used for reptiles and a pic of tarantulas on the front. I know that does not mean they will like it or positively good for them so I will start with a small number first. I am considering it for the dessert or dry tarantulas. It is some what fine in size and very smooth. I use it in my bearded dragons tanks.

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
becca81 said:
She'll eventually calm down.

You need to make the substrate higher so that if she does fall it won't be such an issue.
I don't think that with those cages the substrate can go much higher because of the doors, though I may be wrong. :)

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use Vermiculite in all my T's tanks, never had any problem with it, you can keep it dry or damp, its actually designed for holding water in plant pots so will hold a LOT of water for a long time if you have a species that requires more humidity. When its damp its also great for burrowing, you can also mix it with peat soil if you prefer. Its really cheap too. Both my Smithi and my new Lasiodora parahybana are on it and while the smithi does climb the sides of the tank he only seems to do this when he is hungry as tho looking for food, rest of the time he is quiet happy to sit around on the ground. Ive never had mites with it either or any other nastys and its really easy to clean if I need to. :)

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Spiderbyte, with your level of concern you will have a great set up. The T will come down off the sides, when it is settled. My Rosie dislikes any sign of dampness and will react the same way. I would opt for the eco earth stuff or peat rather than the bark, as well. But if you see the the t is comfortable on the bark chips, then why not leave a bit on top of the other substrate in a small portion of the tank and see what happens? My rosie hasn't molted with me yet, but wouldn't it make a "web/bed" of some sort before it molts?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The doors do pose a bit of an issue with how far I can pile the substrate. I did add some more substrate, and banked it at the sides, so she'll have a much softer landing if she slips down the glass sides. This morning at least she was on the substrate, but I notice that she's "cleaning" herself a few times.
I wonder if she is having issues with the fine particles sticking to her hair?
She's also standing high (like she does when eating crickets)

In the pet shop she sat on the same type of bark chips, but she was in a HUGE tank, and there was no hide, she was in a corner with her legs in a "you can't see me" pose. She looked healthy, if just slightly skinny though.

Where in the T's cage should I put some of the bark chips? I'm almost wondering if I should put a thin layer of them over the eco-earth for the whole cage, or just try one spot. She really likes to hide during the day, and come out in the evening, It might take a while for the eco-earth to dry out to her liking under the "half-log" (that was her favorite spot when I had all bark chips in there)

Maybe I should wait, if it's only the slight dampness that's bothering her, since last night she was up the walls and hanging from the screen, now she's just beginning to "relax" from the high standing pose. I just noticed that she's been leaving a few bits of web here and there, if she does that a lot then that means she doesn't like it?
--this is how I have it now:

Attachments

Last edited:

Tzitzimitl

Arachnopeon
I've had a G. rosea for a year now. She lays down a lot of webbing over the substrate (the entire floor of the enclosure is covered in it), and I had read somewhere that the webbing is what they do when they've gotten comfortable. If I'm horribly wrong, someone please let me know.

Anyway, I keep the substrate dry (esp. after some mold issues last month) and she doesn't seem to have any problems. Wanders around a lot, but hasn't climbed the walls since things dried out. I wouldn't worry too much about it, so long as you keep the cage relatively dry. Your enclosure looks like the same setup I have.

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just recently purchased one of these type of cages and if you want to have the substrate a bit higher you can build it up in the back so it slopes toward the doors.