1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this safe to feed this to my crickets?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by spodermin, Apr 15, 2019.

1. spodermin

spodermin Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I didn't buy this stuff but I've now been given a second free bottle of this stuff (threw the first one out)

Can I use it to feed the crickets I give to my T's? Just to not be wasteful? I usually feed them organic carrots and spinach/kale. I don't like the look of this stuff but I dont want to throw out a whole second bottle

Attached Files:

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Is it safe to feed your crickets? Yes, of course. That's what it's made for. But it is a water source and calcium supplement only, not a food source, so they will still need additional food - veggies, dog or cat kibble, or whatever else you feed them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Justin H

Justin H Arachnosquire Active Member

I'm on my third generation of crickets... started around January. I'm not an expert, but here's what works for me:

As a general rule, I don't feed my crickets anything made to supplement reptile nutrition, nor do I feed them any sort of cubes, cricket chow, or any similar processed product. I also don't offer water... it leads to overall smaller crickets, and pinheads run the risk of drowning. Just rotate vegetables every few days (they like greens the most: spinach, lettuce, cabbage), keep a supply of dog food available (they eat each other without it), and once a month or so throw some fruit in there (they like oranges the most).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. MasterOogway

MasterOogway Arachnosquire

I'm going to push back on this; I don't think the paper says that. In fact I think it says the exact opposite. I only skimmed it, but the few charts I looked seem to definitively say that having water available 24 hours a day drastically increases both dry mass and body length. I may have misread the paper, but that's what I got out of it in the quick peek I gave. At any rate, I do agree with the rest of your comment; I don't provide water dishes for crickets either, instead relying on leafy greens and produce to provide the needed moisture.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rayze

Rayze Arachnopeon

I keep crickets, dubias, and hornworms for my chameleon as well as my T. I have found that when you have pinheads or tiny insects of any sort, a wet cotton ball works great to avoid drowning. I change them out once a day.

I have to keep my feeders on a special diet of medium protein and organic ingredients because of the chameleon, but I find a special feeder diet is unnecessary for T's.

• Like Like x 2
  6. spodermin

spodermin Arachnosquire Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just gonna throw the stuff out. No bother losing sleep over it, I wouldn't normally purchase a product like this anyways

7. Justin H

Justin H Arachnosquire Active Member

wooops, you're right. I either misread it or posted the wrong source... I'll check after work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    My crickets eat a lot of cheerios and carrots. Nobody ever wants to finish off the cheerio box, so I steel what's left for the crickets.

• Like Like x 1
  9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

A good use for stale Cheerios, never thought of that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I use similar product for water- but only for convenience.