1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Pre-Molt?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Elliott, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Elliott

Elliott Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey everyone! Thank you to anyone who reads this, I really appreciate it.

About 3 months ago I got my first tarantula, an adult female brachypelma albopilosum. At time of purchasing her, I noticed she was missing a leg, no big deal, it will grow back over a few molts.

Well over the last week or so her behavior has changed a lot. Normally she is a great eater and is just under her hide or strolling around. She started burrowing heavily, being strange about food but still eating, and constantly burying her water dish.

I’ve noticed a spot developing on her abdomen that didn’t seem like the color I thought I’d see for pre-molt but again, this is my first tarantula(I now have 2 more t’s) Is anyone able to weigh in based on this picture. The spots I’m talking about are brownish orange almost.

Attached Files:

2. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Active Member

Those spots are results from her kicking hairs. If the skin you see underneath turns dark and shiny, then she'll be in premoult. As long as she eats she's not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Elliott

Elliott Arachnopeon

Thank you for the confirmation!

4. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

The spots are from kicking hairs nothing to worry about and the behavior sounds a bit like pre moult my b albo always went in her hide and shut it all off with sub for a few weeks that's how I knew

5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

The spots are bald patches from kicking hairs, they're not a sign of pre-moult but they do make it easier to spot when a tarantula is in pre-moult.

M. mesomelas from a couple of months ago, she kicked off even more between this and the next photo.
    01 - Mmesbald.jpg
    Pic of the same spider taken 2 days ago, she last ate 6 days ago, the bald patch has started to darken as the new exoskeleton forms underneath.
    02 - Mmesomelas pre-moult.jpg
    Taken yesterday, the abdomen is now entirely black, this indicates heavy pre-moult.
    03 - Mmesomelas heavy pre-moult.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Elliott

Elliott Arachnopeon

I know I originally had this being about pre-molt questions, however there has been some interesting developments with this same tarantula since posting this.

Over one night a few days after I posted this, she dug a trench in her enclosure. A day went by and the next morning when I checked on her, the entire trench was lined with webbing. A few days go by, my girlfriend sends me a message saying she was ripping it all down and rolling it into a ball. When I came home and saw it I knew it was an egg sac. A little back story, the person that sold me this T said she was captive bred and had never been paired before as per the original breeder of this T. I’ve had her for 3 months and she has never been near a male.

I have a picture here for reference if anyone can shed some light on this. From what I’ve read it seems like phantom egg sacs are rare or unlikely but it’s hard to differentiate what’s true and what’s not. Thank you all who have read this.

Also ignore the walgreen bottle cap, that was her temporary water dish until I got something more appropriate but she incorporated it into the trench she dug out.

Attached Files:

7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Its Nicaraguan, and theyve been being imported a bunch lately....its possible the captive born story was just that, a story...told because many people prefer to buy captive bred animals.

I would treat the situation as if its viable.

Remove water dishes so its not dunked...dampen sub and wait a solid 30 days before pulling it.

In the meantime, theres nothing to do....dont feed it, dont bother it, nothing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1