1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Azza, May 22, 2007.

1. Azza

Azza Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Is it possible for a B. smithi s'ling (3-4cm LS) to eat a cricket completley and hide the remains in the time between 10pm-6:30am?

It's abdomen does seem bigger but the cricket could of burrowed

Azza

2. Snipes

Snipes Arachnoprince Old Timer

it depends entirely on how big the cricket is/was

3. Azza

Azza Arachnopeon

The cricket was about the size of the T.

Azza

4. Mina

Mina Arachnoking Old Timer

The sling could have eaten part and buried part. They do that sometimes.

5. P. Novak

P. Novak ArachnoGod Old Timer

I'd say yes it's possible; plenty of time between 10pm-6:30am to do whatever it wanted to do with it. Like Mina already mentioned, it could have buried half and ate half.

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Arachnolord Old Timer

I think it's possible. A hungry T, even a smaller B. Smithi can "Put away the Bacon". I have an adult B. Vagans who has been a ravenous eater since
    it was 1 1/2" long.

7. lunixweb

lunixweb Arachnobaron

Yes it could has happened...

8. Hamburglar

Hamburglar Arachnobaron

I would say yes but I am just hypothesizing... considering my 4 inch N. chromatus can put away an adult cricket in minutes I think it would be possible...

9. spid142

spid142 Arachnobaron

possible

Definitely possible, My P. fasciata sling at around 1 3/4 inch can eat a large crix in one setting, leaves behind a good size bolus, but doesnt seem to have trouble catching that big a crix for her size. Doesnt seem intimidated by them either, just jumps right on it.:clap:

10. mrbonzai211

mrbonzai211 Arachnobaron

that can be playing with fire putting a cricket that large in with your sling. crickets have been known to injure and kill T's, especially when they're as young as yours. I would suggest finding prey small enough that you smithi can easily overpower and not be in danger of any damage.... if this is not possible try prekilling the cricket.

it's always best to play things safe with your pets because even a one in a thousand chance of failure is too much for a responsible pet owner.

11. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I was just about to say this. OP, you are VERY lucky you didn't come back to find a cricket in the enclosure and no sign of the sling. If I could remember enough about the thread to search for it, there was someone in just the last couple months who lost multiple slings in a single day due to feeding live crickets at or near the sling's size.

Don't do it.