Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man if that one is a female then I still have no clue what I am looking at. I thought it was said on the abdomen strip there is a light break in it when its female I don't see that with the one I just commented on. I do see there is more color on the carapace, so that means female but the abodmen thing I am still not getting. The abdomen in his pic looks the same as the two in my pics. So lost yes I am :wall:
I sent you a PM. :)

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok you say that is a female than please sex this one as I know what it is from molt sexing. this might make for a good test I will not tell you size or anything go off of the pic.

Mister T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with David ,TTStinger...that would be a male.Due to the markings/coloration on the Carapace.

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a male buddy sorry I hate to say it but I think your a liar
so i am a liar , may i ask why you say this , I have no reason to lie about the sex of my spiders dont call me a liar on here when you dont even know me

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so i am a liar , may i ask why you say this , I have no reason to lie about the sex of my spiders dont call me a liar on here when you dont even know me
ANSWER MY ? Please, why do you say that is a male and the pic of the 3in one you posted is female? coloring seems the same. I say liar you posted you have 1000 of Pokies well by counting what you have on your my inverts is just over a hundered. Now yes I may be jumping the gun calling you a liar so I apologize.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
ANSWER MY ? Please, why do you say that is a male and the pic of the 3in one you posted is female? coloring seems the same. I say liar you posted you have 1000 of Pokies well by counting what you have on your my inverts is just over a hundered. Now yes I may be jumping the gun calling you a liar so I apologize.
The pic you posted would seem male. His would be female. The coloration is not the same, if you think it is, you're not looking in the right place.

Look in the black circles

View attachment 63482

The black design in the pattern is clear, and unfaded. Do not look at the abdominal pattern, at 3", it won't be completely formed yet, the difference will become more profound as it grows.

View attachment 63481

Do you see how faded the pattern is on the carapace? No black design, and its a muddy color. The abdominal 'zig-zag' is quite bold.

If either of you two do not wish your edited photo's being used, ask and I will delete them.

I don't quite see how you're coming off calling him a liar. Even if you were right, dorsal coloration cannot ALWAYS work.

-Sean

Last edited:

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm interesting! So the issue here is the contrast on the carapace color which is evident early on. :)

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pic you posted would seem male. His would be female. The coloration is not the same, if you think it is, you're not looking in the right place.

Look in the black circles

View attachment 63482

The black design in the pattern is clear, and unfaded. Do not look at the abdominal pattern, at 3", it won't be completely formed yet, the difference will become more profound as it grows.

View attachment 63481

Do you see how faded the pattern is on the carapace? No black design, and its a muddy color. The abdominal 'zig-zag' is quite bold.

If either of you two do not wish your edited photo's being used, ask and I will delete them.

I don't quite see how you're coming off calling him a liar. Even if you were right, dorsal coloration cannot ALWAYS work.

-Sean
As my post I apologized and I hope no hard feeling. As for this sexing issue, You are saying that folio sexing is way off and this method is best. Are you saying this works for all pokie?

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok you say that is a female than please sex this one as I know what it is from molt sexing. this might make for a good test I will not tell you size or anything go off of the pic.
male..
when do we get the answer? I lack patience..

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
{D got a good laugh out of my girl walking up and saying,"thats a female, and that one is male... right?" and wouldn't ya know.. she was right.:clap: I think it gets tough to sex pokies once people start over analyzing what they see..

7" is the size where sex is obvious with this sp.
here is a 7" male and a 7" female

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
{D got a good laugh out of my girl walking up and saying,"thats a female, and that one is male... right?" and wouldn't ya know.. she was right.:clap: I think it gets tough to sex pokies once people start over analyzing what they see..

7" is the size where sex is obvious with this sp.
here is a 7" male and a 7" female

very nice pair you have there

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I learned a lot through this thread, i always thought that you could sex a pokie by how faded and how much white is around the zigzag on the abdomen, I guess I was wrong. Very informative thread.:)

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I learned a lot through this thread, i always thought that you could sex a pokie by how faded and how much white is around the zigzag on the abdomen, I guess I was wrong. Very informative thread.:)
you can.. but its only 100% accurate with adults..

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
As my post I apologized and I hope no hard feeling. As for this sexing issue, You are saying that folio sexing is way off and this method is best. Are you saying this works for all pokie?
No, not at 3". You cannot be definate, but the carapace is quite obvious.

-Sean

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mass by that pic it looks like the male is bigger than 7" and the female looks smaller than 7"

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
here's one for all the nay sayers. I have a P. ornata thats maybe 1.5" if it's stretching and yawning at the same time, and I will gaurantee it's female without ever having looked at a molt. I'll post a pic in a few months of her when she's bigger.

This one was also sexed at the 2" mark.