Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

this is one of noexcuse's slings, any ideas?

Size: about 3" I cannot find my ruler for the life of me.

Last edited:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ill see what I can do,my lighting is terrible and the flash washes things out.

Let's seeeeeeeee

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it the off-white "button that is the dead give away?
I am not sure what you are trying to describe, but if you are talking about the notch above the furrow with the dark hairs in a half moon shape then yes it is a dead give away.

There is a picture I posted above with red lines pointing to what you look for on a male, your male is identical.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are photos of a 5" individual I received from a reputable dealer and sold to me as female. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

Eric

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I can tell. She is very beautiful. I think that this thread is really helpful for sexing poecs.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Was wondering if my friends ornata was male or female not the best shot I know but still (it just molted and didnt want to go poking at it)

ornata.jpg

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i agree with hamhock.. should have checked the molt.. my money goes to FEMALE on this one. Way lighter carapace and more vivid coloring than males. I bet the folio will lighten up IMMENSELY with the next molt or two as well..

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
I would of but the molt got destoryed so this (aside from just a ventral shot) is all i have to go off of atm....

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
poeci seem to LOVE mangling molts. it drives me crazy.
Still sticking with my guess, but we all know that coloration and pics is NOT a great way to sex or id a t. If you DO have a ventral try to post that as well.. males and females are PAINFULLY different. I have both gender of this sp. and see them a LOT, so i can surely give you a better idea

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Here is the ventral of that same ornata ...just to help confirm male or female (keep in mind the abdomen is smaller , it just molted a couple days from this pic)

ornata.jpg