1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this plant safe to put with my Rose Hair tarantula?

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by emarie, May 26, 2019.

1. emarie

emarie Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hoping for an Id on the plant and is it safe to put it in the tank with my t?

Attached Files:

2. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Yes but it is not sutible! Succulents tend to need much light and periodicly much water! In a G rosea tank, no plants are sutible! A sutible plant in tarantulatanks are Epipremnum sp, but those need some moisture! And are sutible in other tanks than the tanks than the tank that are sutible for a G rosea

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I agree...with as dry as a rose hair is kept, its not really suitable for plant life.

4. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

As an aside to the question asked, water the plants. The second plant should have firm leaves with no wrinkles. Succulents don't like being in a swamp, but they do need some water and humidity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I have been keeping cactus and other succulents since i was a child. People have a misunderstanding about those plants, thinking they need littke water! This is wrong! There are dessert living spricies that can go very long without water. They are surviving on the water that they have reservoired in itself. But in nature theur rootsystems are stretching long way down in the ground, reatching moist soil! In a tiny pot in the window they need MUCH MORE water and way more often! One cannot compare nature with a enclosure in the livingroom! Sure, succulents are living alongside tarantulas in the north american dessert, but a rarantula enclosure and the wild are 2 totally diffrent things!
    The OP:s succulent in the picture need more water than say a Cereus or an Echinocactus sp which are typically from dry areas!
    And talk about sunlight! Succulents in general are light loving plants needing lots of light. Pure dessert living speicies like a Echinocactus need direct sunligt! There are epifhytic rainforrest speicies like Selenicereus that like shade. But in general cactus and succulents need water and sunlight! Thry are totally unsutible in terrariums for tarantulas!
    If yiu want to have plants in a tarantula tank, keep a Epipremnum in a tank that are kept moist, like a G albo, Haplo ir Theraphosa!
    Keep the succulents in the window! Muxing succulents and tarantulas are not a great idea!
    Goid luck!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

Those are Echevaria derenbergii and Crassula ovata.

Both are succulents that require direct sunlight to thrive. While they appreciate arid climates, they will need more water than your average cactus and certainly more that is advised for G. rosea. I would probably omit them and go for some synthetic ones.

• Informative Informative x 1