1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this odd behaviour?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JohnnyBoy83, Jun 14, 2019.

1. JohnnyBoy83

JohnnyBoy83 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I got my first T two days ago, posted from an online shop. She arrived well packaged, and seemed to start exploring her enclosure straight away. Had a good old wander around, made brief use of the two hides available to her, and then I went to bed. Woke up yesterday morning to find her in this position, and she hasn't moved since. Is this normal for settling in? Or anything to be concerned about? She's been sat there probably around 36hrs now.

(G. pulchripes, juvenile, around 6-8cm)

[​IMG]

2. Hoxter

Hoxter Arachnosquire Active Member

China
    It's normal for tarantulas to feel stressed after a rehouse so nothing weird. I wouldn't worry too much so far. For some tarantulas it takes weeks to get used to their new homes.
    However if I were in your place, I would add more substrate to reduce height. P. pulchripes is terrestrial and it any fall from height could be bad for it. + some of them like to do some digging to expand their hides so providing this option should be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    It is fine

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnnyBoy83

JohnnyBoy83 Arachnopeon

Cool, I'll look at putting a few cm more substrate in, still got half a bucket full.

Thinking about moving the tank somewhere quieter too. Its in the living room and I've got incredibly noisy kids

5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Yes.

No need, it's a flat faunarium, not enough height to be an issue

• Like Like x 1
  6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

7. Surfing Tigress

Surfing Tigress Arachnosquire Active Member

I have ones that when rehoused will sit in the same spot with their legs all tucked in like that for what seems like days on end... Like as to say "you can't see me...."
    Eventually they relax and wander and will start to build/dig. I have found in many cases that I will find them back in the exact same spot and position in the morning and all day but if I peak in at like 2-5am they are out and about the sneaky little buggers :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

Yeah they like to do handstands sometimes. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. JohnnyBoy83

JohnnyBoy83 Arachnopeon

I've found her sneaking out later at night and sitting on the back wall or on top of the plant, so I'm guessing that's her safe space during the day! She's taken a cricket too, so all is well. Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 2