1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this enough ventilation? DIY enclosure.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by FeralTami, Apr 16, 2019.

1. FeralTami

FeralTami Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi again

I've started making my own enclosures in preparation for some larger slings I've got arriving soon and was wondering if this is enough holes or should I drill some more?

IMG_20190416_060820.jpg
    IMG_20190416_060702.jpg

Thanks for any input ^^

2. ChaosSphere

ChaosSphere Arachnopeon Active Member

I'd say it's enough, but you could add two Holes om each side of the enclousure, between and under the three existing holes.
    Cross ventilation is what everybody is raving about these days:angelic:

- Not to hijack the thread, but I've two questions:
    What slings are you getting?
    And how so you make those holes? Just a small wood drill? I use a soddering iron and it just isn't as nice to look at!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FeralTami

FeralTami Arachnopeon

Yeah that sounds good I'll add those extra two!

I'm getting a G. pulchripes and about 4 mystery slings which I'm looking forward to finding out what they are ^^

I just use a regular power drill and it seems to work just fine :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I'm not sure how large the spiderlings are, but you need to be careful that they can't fit through the holes. If their carapace can get through - their whole body can. What sized drill bit did you use?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ChaosSphere

@FeralTami do you have a backup enclousure handy if any of the slings turns out to be aborreal or fossorial?
    But nice! G. pulchripes is an amazing spider and I need one for my self!
    I'm honestly kind of embarrased that I don't own a powerdrill, gotta get one

@VanessaS That drill bit is much too small for the slings to escape, unless we are talking about 0.5 cm BL slings - the recessed lines in the looking handle on the lidt is about a millimeter wide, so the hole is around 2 millimeters, if I should guess.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FeralTami

FeralTami Arachnopeon

@VanessaS Like ChaosSphere said the drill bit is rather small about 3 mm and the slings are a little on the larger side :)

@ChaosSphere I've actually requested only terrestrial as I'm still rather new to the hobby and only feel comfortable with terrestrials for now :>

• Like Like x 2
  7. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Thank you. It's tough to judge in the photo. I use a 1/16" (1.6mm) drill bit for spiderling enclosures and I have never had a spiderling small enough to fit through.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChaosSphere

Ah, good call; where did you order from? :D
    And have you joined the danish tarantula keeper facebook groups?

• Like Like x 1
  9. FeralTami

FeralTami Arachnopeon

I used spidersworld.eu :) and no I haven't actually! I should look into that.

10. ChaosSphere

Jeg gør det lige hurtigt, for har travlt: Krydser fingre for dig mht. at få dine edderkopper hjem, det er ikke sikkert de kommer over grænsen - jeg troede ikke at de sendte til DK??
    Skriv hvis de kommer sikkert hjem, er ved at dø efter deres Hogna schmitzi og Megaphobema velvetosoma!