Is this enclosure suitable for B. Boehmei

Crazed

Arachnopeon
I'm getting a 6 cm B. Boehmei on Tuesday, would this enclosure be suitable? I plan on adding a hide (I ordered some cork bark tubes). I understand that these species burrow and I am just wondering if it would be possible to add anymore substrate without the T being able to run out whenever I open the enclosure. The dimensions of the box are: 24L x 12H (without lid) x 18W cm. 20190105_171440.jpg

Last edited:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Ideally the substrate level should be 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal legspan from the lid to the top of the substrate. This will minimize the chance of the tarantula hurting itself during a fall. Therefore you should probably add more substrate.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
First of all, I'm quite confused about the dimensions. A 6-inch spider would be 15 cm in DLS, therefore the enclosure would be way too small. Or did you mean your spider will be about 6 cm in DLS, then the enclosure would fit nicely. ;)

As for substrate height... like @The Seraph already said, it's important that you don't have more than 1,5x DLS from the sub to the top of the lid. Terrestrial Ts like B. boehmei will climb on occasion, but they're not built for that, a fall is always a possibility. So, to make sure your T won't hurt itself, proper substrate height is imperative. I would fill the enclosure at least half way up with substrate. And don't forget to tamp it down, if you use coco fibre or a mix with coco fibre. They don't like walking on loose ground. ;)

As for running out of the enclosure... when your T has a proper hide, it will rather run into that than out of the enclosure.

Is the lid secured in any way? I can't really see. Just in case it isn't, be aware that tarantulas are real escape artists... it might be able to lift the lid, if not right now, maybe later when it got bigger. ;)

Last edited:

Crazed

Arachnopeon
First of all, I'm quite confused about the dimensions. A 6-inch spider would be 15 cm in DLS, therefore the enclosure would be way too small. Or did you mean your spider will be about 6 cm in DLS, then the enclosure would fit nicely. ;)

As for substrate height... like @The Seraph already said, it's important that you don't have more than 1,5x DLS from the sub to the top of the lid. Terrestrial Ts like B. boehmei will climb on occasion, but they're not built for that, a fall is always a possibility. So, to make sure your T won't hurt itself, proper substrate height is imperative. I would fill the enclosure at least half way up with substrate. And don't forget to tamp it down, if you use coco fibre or a mix with coco fibre. They don't like walking on loose ground. ;)

As for running out of the enclosure... when your T has a proper hide, it will rather run into that than out of the enclosure.

Is the lid secured in any way? I can't really see. Just in case it isn't, be aware that tarantulas are real escape artists... it might be able to lift the lid, if not right now, maybe later when it got bigger. ;)
Thanks for the reply, I believe the T is 6cm in DLS as it is a juvi and yes the lid is secured with 2 latches on the side. And I will be adding more substrate until half full, thanks for the advice.

A 6" T needs a much larger water dish
What size would you recommend? The current dish is a 4cm diameter by around 1.5cm depth bottle cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince

Crazed

Arachnopeon

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use these for juveniles without issue. Just fill it about halfway with substrate and pop a hide in there.

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG