1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this enclosure still a good size? Or should I upgrade him?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Pyrelitha, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Pyrelitha

Pyrelitha Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Great news, GBB molted for me once more... and damn near trippled his size by the looks of it.. though once again he destroyed the molt so I cant sex it. I believe based off this rate of growth its a male, but now I look at this enclosure I think its too small, but originally everyone said it was too big and I felt like he was cramped even when I first got him. So I need the T experts to tell me I'm dumb and its still an ok size, or that I can get him a bigger one =0

Attached Files:

2. Chelbelle

Chelbelle Arachnopeon Active Member

Still looks good to me.He is extra cute by the way!

3. Theneil

Theneil Arachnolord Active Member

USA
    its big enough for another molt but if it makes YOU happier you could give it something bigger. Maybe up to double the current floorspace. Vertical space i eould say is already at the max though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Females can grow fast too. ;)

Enclosure looks fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Looks like its still an adequate size.

Growth rate is not an indicator of its sex.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pyrelitha

I thought males grew faster? Well that makes me much happier! I really want a female... the other two Ts I bought are both males, this is my favorite by far so I really want a girl. I'll upgrade her space next molt then, as I absolutely want to move her to something more roomy!

7. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Current enclosure is all good

8. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Sometimes, not always.

9. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    I personally provide with much larger enclosures for prolific webbers such as Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Neoholothele incei, so they can do whatever they want to do with all the webbings.

But enough of my way of doing it, your tarantula is good for another molt or two in that enclosure with no problem at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

I agree that if you want to upgrade now, you can! It won't do any harm. Or, you can wait for another molt.

I am on the same page as BoyFromLA in that I provide larger space for heavy webbers.

11. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    I agree with everyone, the enclosure is still ok until it molts again, but it's too moist in there for my liking, especially since I don't see any ventilation at the sides. I'd let it dry out some more.

12. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoknight Active Member

Agree. I have my 4 inch GBB in a 10 gal. tank and she has pretty much webbed the whole thing up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pyrelitha

Well I actually just overflowed her water bowl just before posting this, and there are holes on two sides! I drilled them, since they didn't come predrilled

https://jamiestarantulas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=20223/
    Or
    https://jamiestarantulas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=20224/
    or any other comparable show cases that would be perfect for my lil buddy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

An 8x8x8 ExoTerra enclosure will probably be good, but no rush. The problem with small enclosures is that the risk of escape increases.

Provide lots of webbing anchor points. This one is a little cheaper then the Jamie's enclosure and still very well built.

15. Pyrelitha

Well price is not a factor for me here, I'd like a really good roomy cage for her. 8x8x8 sounds a little small, and this one is a very bolty hair kicker so a bigger one is nice! I just don't know if I should use and arboreal or terrestrial since the C cyanpubescans is like a mix?

16. Whitelightning777

Either one will work, depends on the amount of space on your shelf. Semi arboreals can go both ways.

17. Pyrelitha

Ok, I think the terrestrial will be best to prevent my bolty little buddy from bolting out, after all I'm still new and I'm sure she can surprise me.

18. Whitelightning777

With acrylic, you can add a feeding port easily.

19. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

20. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

It's gonna be subjective what answers you get. Personally, I'd say rehouse. Better safe than sorry right? With GBBS, given their semi-arboreal nature, you can get away with tossing them (Figuratively. Don't really toss your tarantula please.) into a much larger enclosure and they do just fine. You can rehouse and not have to worry about it doing so again for a long time, as well as cut down on the chances of an escape. Plenty of pros.

But does it NEED rehoused? No, it doesn't -need- rehoused. In my personal opinion anyway.