Is this enclosure still a good size? Or should I upgrade him?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Great news, GBB molted for me once more... and damn near trippled his size by the looks of it.. though once again he destroyed the molt so I cant sex it. I believe based off this rate of growth its a male, but now I look at this enclosure I think its too small, but originally everyone said it was too big and I felt like he was cramped even when I first got him. So I need the T experts to tell me I'm dumb and its still an ok size, or that I can get him a bigger one =0

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
its big enough for another molt but if it makes YOU happier you could give it something bigger. Maybe up to double the current floorspace. Vertical space i eould say is already at the max though.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Looks like its still an adequate size.

Growth rate is not an indicator of its sex.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I thought males grew faster? Well that makes me much happier! I really want a female... the other two Ts I bought are both males, this is my favorite by far so I really want a girl. I'll upgrade her space next molt then, as I absolutely want to move her to something more roomy!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I personally provide with much larger enclosures for prolific webbers such as Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Neoholothele incei, so they can do whatever they want to do with all the webbings.

But enough of my way of doing it, your tarantula is good for another molt or two in that enclosure with no problem at all.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree that if you want to upgrade now, you can! It won't do any harm. Or, you can wait for another molt.

I am on the same page as BoyFromLA in that I provide larger space for heavy webbers.

boina

Lady of the mites
I agree with everyone, the enclosure is still ok until it molts again, but it's too moist in there for my liking, especially since I don't see any ventilation at the sides. I'd let it dry out some more.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I personally provide with much larger enclosures for prolific webbers such as Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Neoholothele incei, so they can do whatever they want to do with all the webbings.
Agree. I have my 4 inch GBB in a 10 gal. tank and she has pretty much webbed the whole thing up.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I agree with everyone, the enclosure is still ok until it molts again, but it's too moist in there for my liking, especially since I don't see any ventilation at the sides. I'd let it dry out some more.
Well I actually just overflowed her water bowl just before posting this, and there are holes on two sides! I drilled them, since they didn't come predrilled

https://jamiestarantulas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=20223/
Or
https://jamiestarantulas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=20224/
or any other comparable show cases that would be perfect for my lil buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
An 8x8x8 ExoTerra enclosure will probably be good, but no rush. The problem with small enclosures is that the risk of escape increases.

Provide lots of webbing anchor points. This one is a little cheaper then the Jamie's enclosure and still very well built.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Well price is not a factor for me here, I'd like a really good roomy cage for her. 8x8x8 sounds a little small, and this one is a very bolty hair kicker so a bigger one is nice! I just don't know if I should use and arboreal or terrestrial since the C cyanpubescans is like a mix?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Ok, I think the terrestrial will be best to prevent my bolty little buddy from bolting out, after all I'm still new and I'm sure she can surprise me.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's gonna be subjective what answers you get. Personally, I'd say rehouse. Better safe than sorry right? With GBBS, given their semi-arboreal nature, you can get away with tossing them (Figuratively. Don't really toss your tarantula please.) into a much larger enclosure and they do just fine. You can rehouse and not have to worry about it doing so again for a long time, as well as cut down on the chances of an escape. Plenty of pros.

But does it NEED rehoused? No, it doesn't -need- rehoused. In my personal opinion anyway.