Is this enclosure good?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
As Cristmas time comes, my mother, knowing I am in love with tailless whipscorpions, decided to get me some when I cam home for Christmas. She got it today and decided to give it to me early as she did not want to have to care for it. As I excitedly opened the package, I saw . . . a Vinegaroon. It was packaged in a container with substrate and a second container intended for a whip scorpion. It seems healthy and active. Now I am not complaining that they sent my mother the wrong thing, and I do intend to keep it since it is still a Vinegaroon. I was just wondering if this enclosure was good for it. I know the cup is a bit tall but it was intended for a whip scorpion.

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Cutey.

Pedipalpi - Amblypygi (whip spiders)
Pedipalpi - Uropygi sensu lato - Thelyphonida (Uropygi sensu stricto, whip scorpions)
Pedipalpi - Uropygi sensu lato - Schizomida (short-tailed whip scorpions)

"The name "amblypygid" means "blunt rump", a reference to a lack of the flagellum ("tail") that is otherwise seen in whip scorpions."
Or in the case of amblypygid that have tails? -> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Amblypygi-legs.jpg

Even Linnaeus initially got things confused. I'm not going to expect too much from pet store workers and shipping clerks. The orders Amblypygi and Thelyphonida need to start over with their names/naming conventions. Get rid of the ambiguous and erroneous like 'scorpion'. A whip spider isn't a whip scorpion which isn't a short tailed whip scorpion none of which have anything to do with scorpiones.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
As Cristmas time comes, my mother, knowing I am in love with tailless whipscorpions, decided to get me some when I cam home for Christmas. She got it today and decided to give it to me early as she did not want to have to care for it. As I excitedly opened the package, I saw . . . a Vinegaroon. It was packaged in a container with substrate and a second container intended for a whip scorpion. It seems healthy and active. Now I am not complaining that they sent my mother the wrong thing, and I do intend to keep it since it is still a Vinegaroon. I was just wondering if this enclosure was good for it. I know the cup is a bit tall but it was intended for a whip scorpion.
That will be fine so long as the leaves can act as a hide. By the looks of the little rascal it looks like a moult might be imminent. If so expect yours to dig down and disappear for a while. I have a water dish in with my lass but I'm unsure if she ever uses it.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
That will be fine so long as the leaves can act as a hide. By the looks of the little rascal it looks like a moult might be imminent. If so expect yours to dig down and disappear for a while. I have a water dish in with my lass but I'm unsure if she ever uses it.
I have actually added a real hide now, since I saw an ant in the substrate that I have now baked. Are they flexible on substrate dampness?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have actually added a real hide now, since I saw an ant in the substrate that I have now baked. Are they flexible on substrate dampness?
Yes in a way. They are from both dry and damp areas in the wild. I gave my lass 50/50 when I first got her and see was always at the damp side so that's how I've got her enclosure now. Deep sub, a hide and a water dish. She's always just under her hide unless in premoult. She then digs down and I don't see her for a couple of months or so.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Cutey.

Pedipalpi - Amblypygi (whip spiders)
Pedipalpi - Uropygi sensu lato - Thelyphonida (Uropygi sensu stricto, whip scorpions)
Pedipalpi - Uropygi sensu lato - Schizomida (short-tailed whip scorpions)

"The name "amblypygid" means "blunt rump", a reference to a lack of the flagellum ("tail") that is otherwise seen in whip scorpions."
Or in the case of amblypygid that have tails? -> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Amblypygi-legs.jpg

Even Linnaeus initially got things confused. I'm not going to expect too much from pet store workers and shipping clerks. The orders Amblypygi and Thelyphonida need to start over with their names/naming conventions. Get rid of the ambiguous and erroneous like 'scorpion'. A whip spider isn't a whip scorpion which isn't a short tailed whip scorpion none of which have anything to do with scorpiones.
Thank you for this! I just forgot how to spell Amblypygi and never learned Thelyphonida since I did not expect to have one. Thank you though!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Also, @basin79, is it common for them to be very active when in a new enclosure? Mine is crawling all over the place and I am just more used to Brachypelma that don't ever do anything in my sight ever.

The Snark

Old Timer
So, is the enclosure good @The Snark?
I'd get rid of the bug and wash it out before I use it for my mango smoothie or a urinalysis catch cup.
She then digs down and I don't see her for a couple of months or so.
So these are actually less exciting than pet rocks?

On a serious note, simply incredible, even amazing animals. And people keeping them successfully - we're talking the patience of professional bonsai gardeners.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd get rid of the bug and wash it out before I use it for my mango smoothie or a urinalysis catch cup.

So these are actually less exciting than pet rocks?
They're fantastic. Like I typed my lass only disappears when moulting. Apart from that I see her quite often. Even when fed she'll be out digging little burrows.

The Snark

Old Timer
I encountered my first one in the wild about a year ago. Out trying to cross a road. Stop bike, take seat on pavement and just stare. If the complexity of evolution doesn't hit you like an avalanche looking at animals like these you are probably suffering from advanced rigor mortis.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd probably add a little more substrate, but otherwise I'd say it's probably good for a molt or two. You'll want to make sure it can build its burrows without them collapsing, but @basin79 would know more on proper substrates for these guys.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd probably add a little more substrate, but otherwise I'd say it's probably good for a molt or two. You'll want to make sure it can build its burrows without them collapsing, but @basin79 would know more on proper substrates for these guys.
I just keep the sub damp and it holds up well. When moulting they make a chamber and close of their burrow.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Unfortunately I do not have any more. It came with the set up. Thank you though!

Schledog

Arachnosquire
I use coco fiber with no problems but I also have mixed in some play sand so the burrows hold better. Anyway @The Seraph the enclosure looks good for your little baby. Here’s my big female in her enclosure. image.jpg image.jpg
Also you are kind of lucky with the mix up because I’ve kept both Amblypygi and Vinegaroons and vinegaroons are kind of my favorite of the two although Amblypygi are pretty cool too.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Also you are kind of lucky with the mix up because I’ve kept both Amblypygi and Vinegaroons and vinegaroons are kind of my favorite of the two although Amblypygi are pretty cool too.
I was not too torn up about it since Thelyphonida are indeed interesting but I refer Amblypygi because of their communal nature. Thank you for the help!